NEW PLEASE HELP!question IKEA's Ceiling Lamp - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NEW PLEASE HELP!question IKEA's ceiling lamp

I bought a Ikea ceiling lamp today and realize that it has three wires needs to be attached to the ceiling wire. The problem is that my living room has no ceiling wire--it's just a plain ceiling with no holes. Is there anything I can install in order to make it plugable to the wall outlet? thank you!!!
vivian8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Swag lamps often are suspended(with chain) from ceiling hooks with cords that plug into wall outlets. If there is no ceiling fixture, code requires at least one switched wall outlet, controlled from a switch at the room entry. That might be a good place.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

At any of the hardware stores there is a electrical box that is placed between and attaches to the joists, via a threaded rod that expands. like this one http://www.lampsplus.com/products/Ex...ce__82303.html

or use this method http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...ngfixtures.htm

The electrical wiring is something I can do but can not explain as a fix-all solution. Every wall and ceiling is different.
You may want to hire a handyman that is versed in that type of electrical install
pawned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawned View Post
The electrical wiring is something I can do but can not explain as a fix-all solution. Every wall and ceiling is different.
You may want to hire a electrician that is versed in that type of electrical install
Fixed that for you!
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

I second that. Hire an electrician to install a ceiling box for you if you want ceiling-mounted lights.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

a girl with no experience in electic, can anyone help?

hi can anyone tell me is it possible to convert a hardwire chanderlier(with exposed 3 wires) to a wall plug in? How to do that? is it dangerous? Thanks!!!!!!!!!
vivian8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not hard. You need to buy some fixture wire or an extension cord and a in line switch if you want one to avoid having to pull the plug to disconnect it. Just connect the blacks together and the whites togeher and the grounds (bare wires) together. Twist the wires and attach a yellow or orange wire nut on each pair. (three separate splices) The fixture wire used for the plug should have a ground wire for protection.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Let me add a couple of additional thoughts. Make sure you disable power at the circuit panel before attempting any of this. With your circuit disabled, your light should not come on. It is, in my mind, also a good idea to check for voltage at the ceiling box as added insurance. If you are unsure how to do this, see my advice about enlisting some assistance.

You will have to remove the light's electrical connections at the ceiling. These are typically secured to the house wiring with wire nuts inside an electrical box. This will likely necessitate taking the light down. It sounds like you intend to move it anyways, so no big deal. Once the light fixture is removed, be sure to add caps back onto the unused house wiring, and cover with a plate.

Many lights I have seen are supplied only with two wires, line and neutral. It is good that yours has three. Follow Bob's advice here. I would prefer something other than wire nuts, however. I assume that this conncection will be explosed in the room, which would be unsightly and, potentially, unsafe. I would solder the wires together, and cover with heat shrink tubing.

Consider also, a little surgery on your fixture. Look to see if it can be disassembled (likely). Inside, you may find that there are existing connections that join all the wires to the multiple lamp sockets together with the single cord feeding the entire fixture. If so, I would go further and replace the entire cord to the fixture and reconnect as before.

Hope this helps. This really is a pretty basic electrical project. If you are unsure about any of these steps, consider enlisting some help.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 702

I would buy what is called a "Swag Kit". It has the fixture wire with a prewired plug and line switch. The kit also contains a chain to support the wire and decorative ceiling hooks to hang the fixture and support the wire which you weave into the chain. A lot cheaper than buying the individual parts. Most hardware stores or big box stores will carry them.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

You can do anything you want, just use the right tools and LEARN about how to properly do what you want to do first!

I suggest you find a book on wiring lamps and read it cover to cover. Home improvement stores have many different books on how to do various things.

The important things are a "polarized plug" and which wire from the larger prong on the polarized plug goes to which wire on the fixture and why.

This will get your learning started...

Polarized plug...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=wirin...c9c32d20fe6232

Picture...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #11

When it comes to electrical issues, definitely hire an electrician and have the job done right!
rperry2394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement