New Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 16

new panel

I have a detached studio on my property built in the 50's, I have removed the old "screw in" style fuse box and all of the wiring and want to install a new panel. The main power source comes from a huge cable that runs about 100ft back to a 100amp knife switch.

What type of panel do I need? Main Breaker, Main Lug, transfer panel? I don't understand the differences.
mikec205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor
kbsparky's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368
Rewards Points: 2,000

Which building is the knife switch located?

If it's in the main building, then a main breaker panel would be needed in the studio apt.

If it's in the studio apt, then another disconnecting means may not be necessary, therefore a main lugs panel could be used instead.

A transfer panel is used when a generator is connected -- will this be the case in your situation?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple Panel Question theatretch85 Electrical 7 09-29-2016 07:15 PM
new sub panel BlueBSH Electrical 11 01-22-2012 08:28 AM
Replacing 2 Sub Panels with 1 Larger Panel GuitarJack Electrical 7 08-25-2009 08:43 PM
Replacement Meter Panel leonard_voet Electrical 19 04-09-2008 10:27 AM
Installing new (service?) breaker panel and generator panel Nhrafan Electrical 6 04-01-2008 03:03 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts