New Main Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brric

Old 09-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

New Main Panel

Scenario:
I have an old main panel on my home that is federal pacific brand and needs to be replaced due to safety concerns. My power configuration doesn't seem to be standard from the research I am doing and have received conflicting information from different electricians.

The feed from the power company is coming in underground into a box they manage then from there goes into the meter, which is followed by a 150amp breaker adjacent to the meter. The meter is 100ft away from the main panel which is on the side of the house (outside) and the cable from the breaker at the meter runs underground via a 1-1/2 PVC conduit. The cable going from the breaker next to the meter to the main panel is Aluminum #2 AWG cable (this seems to be way too small for a 150 amp circuit). There is currently no main breaker on the main panel (just a main lug Federal pacific panel). I am unsure where grounding is currently setup and I do not see any ground rods next to the meter or main panel (maybe it is inside the wall of the home which I will be opening soon for other work I need to do.).

Questions:

1) Should I install a new main breaker panel on the house or just do a main lug panel since there is a breaker at the meter?
2) Should my grounding be done next to the meter, main panel, or both? If it is done only by the meter, how do I bond to gas and water line and main panel?
3) What size (gauge in copper or aluminum) and type of cable (like SER, THHN-2 etc...) should go from the breaker next to the meter to the new panel on the outside of the home?

I am not necessarily doing this myself, I have had a couple electricians come to the house and give me completely different information. I just want to make sure I hire the most qualified electrician to do the job (some of which were not even concerned about the #2 AWG feed to the main panel... )
dalizardking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,252

Re: New Main Panel

The feeder from the disconnect (at the meter) must be a four wire feeder into the house panel WITHa main breaker. Grounding rods at the meter as well as the house. Grounding to the house ground rods and other bonding requirements originate at the house panel from the isolated grounding buss.
jhil likes this.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

So from the breaker at the meter, should be 4 wire (2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 bare copper ground), then connect the 2 hot, neutral, and ground to the main breaker panel? Then at the house have another set of ground rods which bond to the gas and cold water line and to the main breaker panel? At the main breaker panel, I should have a ground bar, a neutral bar (which are connected to each other) is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,252

Neutral and ground are bonded at the first disco(pole). Neutral is isolated from ground at the house panel.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

What type and gauge should the cable coming from the main disconnect to the main breaker panel be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement