New Building, New Service, Couple Of Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

New building, new service, couple of questions

I just put up a 30x40 pole building and it is having its own 200A service. I have the conduit in the ground and the meter base installed and in the process of hanging the panel. I have the 2 required ground rods, the number 4 grounding wire ready to go. My question is does this grounding wire start at the meter base then go directly to the grounding rod? I know when you put a panel in a house you usually run a ground wire to the water pipe. But this being a garage there is no water pipe to ground too. Do I need to run the #4 ground wire out of the actual panel to another ground rod. Thanks.
gregandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Usually, the Grounding Electrode Conductor comes from the main panel ground bar and runs to the two ground rods. The wire must be unbroken, so you have to loop through the clamp at one rod and continue to the second.

Some rare power companies want the ground in the meter can instead. You'll have to ask them to be sure.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,374

New building, new service, couple of questions-image.jpgThe conductor to two grounding rods at least 6' apart does not have to be unbroken. # 6 copper is code compliant to the grounding rods. Check with your POCO regarding the conductor sizing from the meter to the panel. In my area a 200 amp service to a non-dwelling unit would require 3/0 copper or 250 MCM aluminum. The graphic shows the grounding conductor going to the meter, more often than no it goes to service disconnect panel.

Last edited by brric; 09-09-2015 at 09:44 PM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Attachment 193553The conductor to two grounding rods at least 6' apart does not have to be unbroken.
Learn something new every day. My electrician insisted on it on a flip a while back. He had quite a few other "personal codes" that he insisted on though, now that I think of it.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,840

McS, the wire from the panel to the first rod must be unbroken. From the first to the second rod is a jumper and can be a separate piece.
Advertisement