Need Some Basic Info Re Fluorescents - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need some basic info re fluorescents

Is there any way to look at a fluorescent (say, in a 2-bulb fixture which will not go fully on) and see if it is good or bad? Any easy way to test a fluorescent tube (e.g. with a VOM)?

ALSO, I have some fluorescent fixtures which require me to run my hand along the tube for a foot or so before they will turn on. This has to be a common problem. What causes it, and how do you fix it?
Mr_allthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Could be one of two or three things. Tubes, ballast, or if an older fixture, starters. Newer fixtures don't have the starters, so it would be one of the first two. Tubes are cheap, so the first step would be to replace them, both of them, and see if that fixes your problem. If you replace one, and the other was bad, it would still make your new one act up.

If two new tubes don't fix the problem, replace the ballast with one that matches the one in your fixture. Sometimes it would be cheaper to simply replace the fixture, depending on the ballast you need. You can usually buy the new ballasts at any home center. Best idea is to take the old one out and take it to the store to find a match.
gdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

High humidity and dirt on the tubes can also cause hard starting. Poor or non-existant grounding will affect the startup also.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Simple fixes/diagnostics for fluorescents

Jim Port:

Do you think there is any benefit to running some emery cloth over the contacts when I replace one fluorescent (assuming the other one is good)?
Mr_allthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_allthumbs View Post
Is there any way to look at a fluorescent (say, in a 2-bulb fixture which will not go fully on) and see if it is good or bad? Any easy way to test a fluorescent tube (e.g. with a VOM)?

ALSO, I have some fluorescent fixtures which require me to run my hand along the tube for a foot or so before they will turn on. This has to be a common problem. What causes it, and how do you fix it?
'Advance' makes ballasts and they had several detailed fluorescent troubleshooting charts running to several pages on their website.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement