Need Motion Sensing Floodlight Rec./help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Still going...

Rewards Points: 508

Need motion sensing floodlight rec./help

Can anyone recommend a specific exterior floodlight that is motion sensing but only for something larger than a dog/deer? I have massive amounts of tress and the motion senors on the existing lights seem to be picking up tree movement.

Would I be happier buying a separate PIR(?) and connecting it to a standard floodlight? Any PIR that would work best? I have woodland creatures great and small so need to only illuminate large ones, bi-pedal. However, need to do so at a very long distance. From a future proof perspective one that can also trigger a camera would be nice.

Thanks for any advice

Working on "The Great Wall of Retaining..."
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

the new motion sensor light are actually pretty good at taking out the useless crap. I recently bought a couple double head self contained halogens at home depot for about $40 canadian apiece and they have a special setting on them so that trees, wind, rain doesn't affect them. You'll see them pop on when the wind starts to blows but consistant movement doesn't seem to affect them after that. It's almost like the sensitivity self adjusts for certain wether. They're the closest thing i've seen to what your looking for....and at 100w per head they light up the backyard enough to play bacchi ball at midnight
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Back in California I was installing the RAB brand of motion sensor units, they seemed to give me the LEAST problems, but they were not the 19.99 Home Depot special either. I liked the RAB brand for they were all metal construction.
g.gauvreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I useally use the RAB luminaire for motion sensing devices and I know they are not cheap but it worth the Euros for it.

And I know few models you can able run in parallel mode with other matching motion sensor luminaire as well.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I useally use the RAB luminaire for motion sensing devices and I know they are not cheap but it worth the Euros for it.

And I know few models you can able run in parallel mode with other matching motion sensor luminaire as well.

Merci,Marc
Thanks! Found RAB STL360X motion sensor that is supposed to work with Lutron Radio RA!!! However it doesn't say in instructions as to how. so been trying to talk to RAB support and they are very busy. This of course is exactly what I wanted but now I need to re-wire the house. Will need to put up at least 4-6 of these motion sensors but getting power to the locations will be challenging.

--Chris

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Still going...

RAB is BOGUS

I spoke to tech support and they say we cannot say how the device connects to Lutron Radio RA. They say their sensor sends out an X-10 signal and "you have to figure out" how to make it work with Radio RA!!!

Talked to Lutron and they say it isn't so only chance is an X-10 device that will send and dry contact closure.

EDIT

OK X-10 makes a UM506 which can connect to the VCRX dry contact input on main repeater. Now I need to find out if the VCRX input is on all the repeaters as the motion sensors will be farther away than 30 feet. Man, they make this hard!

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 04-01-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Still going...

Contact closure is only on the VCRX and VCRX is not a repeater so I would have to add two repeaters and a VCRX in order for this to potentially work...! I would need to determine if an X-10 signal can be transmitted over my entire house. I have two separate breaker panels.

Anyone know?

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 04-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

X 10 system

The way the X 10 system works is your "neutral" conductor in your electrical wiring is used in transmitting & receiving "signals" from your X 10 transmitters. Your neutral leg in your home originates from your main service. Here's the kicker though, SO ARE YOUR NEIGHBORS! If by chance your neighbor has an X-10 system and they just happen to select the same code you do, the two systems will interfere with each other.
I have also gotten reports (this is a few years back though) Customers near an airport would get interferance with airline transmissions as they flew over the home (because it's all about frequency) I recall the X 10 being the BIG thing a few years back, I can't recall the last time I've even seen the product in the wholesale houses. Good luck!
g.gauvreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #9

I like the Heath Zenith Dual Bright motion sensors. They are pretty good at ignoring movement from trees and leaves, but they sure as #$!! detect the neibor's cat.

But what I really like is the "Dual Bright". As dusk, the lights come on at 25% power. Great looking accent light. They are programmable to say on for 3 hours, 6 hours, or all night long. When they detect motion, they turn on full power.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.gauvreau View Post
The way the X 10 system works is your "neutral" conductor in your electrical wiring is used in transmitting & receiving "signals" from your X 10 transmitters. Your neutral leg in your home originates from your main service. Here's the kicker though, SO ARE YOUR NEIGHBORS! If by chance your neighbor has an X-10 system and they just happen to select the same code you do, the two systems will interfere with each other.
I have also gotten reports (this is a few years back though) Customers near an airport would get interferance with airline transmissions as they flew over the home (because it's all about frequency) I recall the X 10 being the BIG thing a few years back, I can't recall the last time I've even seen the product in the wholesale houses. Good luck!
If I decide to go this route I will use one of the non-default house codes. I have to now see if the RAB STL360X can be programmed to detect motion a set number of hours after dusk. Worst case scenario will need to put them on a Radio Ra 2 switch and program them to turn on a few hours after dusk.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

One motion sensor I liked had a built in "low light" feature
It would run the lights at say 10-25% brightness
Then when it detected motion they would go to full brightness
Probably will not work with CFL's
But I had this sensor on my front porch at my last house & it worked great

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
Still going...

Thanks for all the replies!

I am going to shoot for the RAB STL360X, connected to probably two or three Radio RA 2 switches. Just use regular floods (no motion). Once I have the software I can turn sensors on a few hours after sunset, as opposed to at dusk. Don't want lights turning on while we are outside enjoying the evening! I also have other landscape lights so I would turn off dual bright feature.

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 04-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Master Electrician

this may be a crazy idea as i'm trying to wrap my head around what your trying to accomplish. The gist of what i get is that your looking to turn on camera's with the lights(either to take pictures or you live in a rough neighbourhood). Would the cheapest way not be to install a relay with the coil being tied to the motion sensor and have the contacts in the relay turn on the camera?
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
this may be a crazy idea as i'm trying to wrap my head around what your trying to accomplish. The gist of what i get is that your looking to turn on camera's with the lights(either to take pictures or you live in a rough neighbourhood). Would the cheapest way not be to install a relay with the coil being tied to the motion sensor and have the contacts in the relay turn on the camera?
Just the lights, no cameras. Well at least not yet. I need to be able to turn lights on via a switch. In case of Lutron Radio Ra 2 "All-On" on a keypad. A regular motion light fixture when you turn switch on will not illuminate (100% in case of dual bright).

The plan is to have landscape lighting turn on at dusk and off at maybe 11:00 pm. House will then be dark outside unless movement is detected. STL360X/X-10 supposedly can be programmed to trigger alarm if motion persists. Not sure if I am going to use that feature.

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 04-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement