Need Information On Electric/water Line Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need information on electric/water line installation

I've been looking to purchase land in North or East Texas, but none of the small 5-10 acre parcels, located in several different areas, have electric, water or septic on site. I'm aware of the cost of septic, but do not know what is would cost to have electric run from the road up to a building (app 500 feet) and have a meter installed. The same with a water line and a meter. I need a rough estimate of the cost. It will make a difference in whether or not I purchase land without improvements. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you for your time.
jenben59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

No one on any Internet board is going to even begin to give you a close estimate. You may as well throw up a deck of card and then pick one up for your price.

Call or ask around in that area for estimates or price ranges. Ask folks who have had it done.

I love how you refer to a 5-10 acre parcel as "small".
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
No one on any Internet board is going to even begin to give you a close estimate. You may as well throw up a deck of card and then pick one up for your price.

Call or ask around in that area for estimates or price ranges. Ask folks who have had it done.

I love how you refer to a 5-10 acre parcel as "small".

They are talking about Texas you know!
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

jenben, you might speak with your local power companies. For a run that long, in some areas, they will run that. The distance is so great, their engineers might determine they need to run a higher voltage to a point closer to your building and install a transformer there.

On top of that, in my area (don't know if yours would be anything similar), the power company installs the initial run of what they install at a greatly reduced price as to what it would cost on the open market from a private electrician.

So, I would start with at least contacting the involved power companies and try to get some info from them.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,130

No way to say - depends entirely on where you live. For one of my houses in another state, there was a flat fee (something like $200 in 1986). That got me a pole, transformer, underground cable about 100 ft to the house, and the meter. For my current house in WV, I wasn't charged anything for pretty much the same setup.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement