Need Help. Weird Problem With Stove Plug. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help. Weird problem with stove plug.

I have in my panel installed a 15/40/15 space saver breaker. I had problem with one of the 15 amp breakers and it finally broke. One of the 15 amp breakers dont work anymore, so i moved that wired to another 15 amp.

Now the space saver breaker has a broken 15amp with 40/15. My wife said the clock on the stove was going wonky, and when she went to cook, the stove started sparking.

Is that broken 15 amp breaker affecting the rest of the breaker??
latinomusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 952

Do you mean the breaker is craked, or just not working.
Define broke.
Yes, it can affet the 40 amp breaker also.
Go to the box store and get a new one.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

well...................i had problems wiring my chandelier, i kept tripping the breaker, i mixed up some wires by accident. Now that 15 amp breaker is stuck in the middle, in the tripped position. I cant reset that 15 amp breaker. I got my volt tester and dont get anymore voltage out of that 15 amp breaker.

How does the theory/concept with electricity work with the 15 amp breaker causing the 40 amp stove to go crazy?? I would like to know exactly why this happened to my stove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Chandelier breaker - you either fried the breaker or you have a dead short at the output so it can't be reset. If the breaker won't reset, how would you expect to find voltage at the output with your meter?

15-40-15 breaker. I assume this breaker takes up two spaces in the panel which would mean that 15/40 are on one side of the bus and 40/15 are on the other bus. There would be only two bus connections so the broken breaker could be affecting the 240 to the stove. Is the range wired with #8?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #5

i already tested the breaker with no load(no wire/circuit connected), the breaker wont reset.

Also, the stove does have #8 wire. The breaker is a space saver and takes up 2 spots taking up 2 phases of voltage.

i have 0 Volts on the 15amp, 120 on the positive phase of the 40, 120 on the negative phase of the 40, 120 on the other 15 amp.

So is it possible that even if the positive phase 40 has voltage, it is still out of phase causing the wire to have no neutral??
Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinomusician View Post
i already tested the breaker with no load(no wire/circuit connected), the breaker wont reset.

Also, the stove does have #8 wire. The breaker is a space saver and takes up 2 spots taking up 2 phases of voltage.

i have 0 Volts on the 15amp, 120 on the positive phase of the 40, 120 on the negative phase of the 40, 120 on the other 15 amp.

So is it possible that even if the positive phase 40 has voltage, it is still out of phase causing the wire to have no neutral??
Measure across the two legs of the 40 amp breaker and check for 240VAC.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might have a bad neutral connection.

Open circuits are easier to trace than short circuits; I'd start disconnecting things until all your working breakers hold, and then run some checks before reconnecting things.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinomusician View Post
I have in my panel installed a 15/40/15 space saver breaker. I had problem with one of the 15 amp breakers and it finally broke. One of the 15 amp breakers dont work anymore, so i moved that wired to another 15 amp.

Now the space saver breaker has a broken 15amp with 40/15. My wife said the clock on the stove was going wonky, and when she went to cook, the stove started sparking.

Is that broken 15 amp breaker affecting the rest of the breaker??
If you have issue with one 15 amp breaker keep tripping or other issue you should not use that and get that affect circuit fixed first before you will destory the other new breaker if you install it.

Now you say the stove gone wonky so you have bad netural connection or even worst is revesed connections.

Simple 10mm { 8AWG } black conductor go to one pole of breaker while other conductor useally red will land on other slot or pole that is correct fashon and for white conductor that is netrual conductor that should be on the netrual bussbar if landed somewhere else that is a automatique red flag!

The last thing I know you did move that 15 amp circuit to somewhere else but the critcal part is if you have red conductor on 15 amp breaker that will tell you that you have MWBC { multiwire branch circuit } it must be in right sequiene to prevent the netural conductor overloaded.

What brand name breaker you have there ?

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

well basically what your saying is that you fused a breaker into the tripped position. Your lucky it didn't fuse closed. Just taking a wire from one breaker to another isn't a good idea...especially if one of those 15A breakers has a red conductor. You could be shooting up to 30A through the neutral if it's wired wrong. Any time you fuse a breaker be it a slimline, spacesaver, or regular breaker replace the whole breaker. You have no idea what took place in there. It could even be something like the 40A portion making contact with the fused 15A portion that's causing the problem. if this did happen it would definately throw the electronics(clock) on the stove out of whack when the surge hit and could cause some arcing at the range itself. Other than a neutral problem, which has already been stated thats the only thing i can think of.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Well said, Andrew!

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #11

i changed the breaker and everything works now. thanks for all your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement