Narrow Outlet For Soundbar? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Wiredindallas

Old 05-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Narrow Outlet for Soundbar?

Hi,

I am installing power for a floating soundbar several inches below the flat-screen TV. I'm looking for a narrow power outlet that I can hide nicely behind the soundbar.

The closest thing I can come up with is this: https://www.powerbridgesolution.com/...ndbar-solution

But it's rather expensive and requires an "inlet" at the bottom that basically will have an M-F cord to a normal outlet. I don't want this, I have power available already behind the TV.

Does anything like this exist for a standard install? I saw there exists a 1.5" handy box but I'm not sure if I can install a receptacle into it, furthermore, I have not seen any narrow faceplates. Any direction is appreciated.
devdazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,946

Re: Narrow Outlet for Soundbar?

Look for a 'clock receptacle'. They are specifically designed to hide behind a clock.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Look for a 'clock receptacle'. They are specifically designed to hide behind a clock.
Thanks! This gets me part of the way there with it being recessed, but the ones I have seen all are the standard box width which is wider than my soundbar so the wall plate will show above and below the soundbar. A standard size wall plate being 2.75 inches and my soundbar being only 1.75 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,946

I have never seen an electrical box that small.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 58

I do not know where to get it, but they make such for installing in aluminum storefront framing. At least they did back in the 20th century.
jbfan and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdazed View Post
Thanks! This gets me part of the way there with it being recessed, but the ones I have seen all are the standard box width which is wider than my soundbar so the wall plate will show above and below the soundbar. A standard size wall plate being 2.75 inches and my soundbar being only 1.75 inches.
Therefore, you have a problem.
If you insist on mounting your soundbar, which is narrower than a standard socket outlet, on the wall (rather than sitting it on top of a cabinet) you must pay the price of a suitable narrow socket outlet (and "signal" cable space) to suit your requirements.
(It is unlikely that this would suit - https://www.cableorganizer.com/arlin...sed-tv-box.htm)

Is $110 (or whatever) really so "expensive" as compared to the price which you have already paid for the equipment concerned.

It really surprises me that many persons are so parsimonious when paying for the "finishing details" for equipment on which they have already spent a great deal of money.

Of course, there is another thing which you may do.

If you look-up "Table Desk Wire Cord Cable Grommets Hole Cover", or words to that effect, you will find 60 mm "Grommets" through which cables may be "threaded". (I hope that that 60 mm is not too wide and how you fit them to the wall without using a "Blank" (70 mm) electrical wall plate in which to install and fix them may be another problem.)

You could place one of these behind the "soundbar" and one behind the TV, thread the cables between these two and hide any recessed box connections behind the TV - if this does accord with electrical regulations within your "jurisdiction".
(You may need two Pairs, one for "Power" and one for "Signal".)

Good luck.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 05-28-2020 at 04:02 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
Of course, there is another thing which you may do.

If you look-up "Table Desk Wire Cord Cable Grommets Hole Cover", or words to that effect, you will find 60 mm "Grommets" through which cables may be "threaded". (I hope that that 60 mm is not too wide and how you fit them to the wall without using a "Blank" (70 mm) electrical wall plate in which to install and fix them may be another problem.)

You could place one of these behind the "soundbar" and one behind the TV, thread the cables between these two and hide any recessed box connections behind the TV - if this does accord with electrical regulations within your "jurisdiction".
(You may need two Pairs, one for "Power" and one for "Signal".)

Good luck.
I apologise for my little "diatribe" above but I have just checked my "soundbar" and I note that it is supplied only with "Extra Low Voltage" and "Signal" connections.
Therefore, these "leads" may be connected via any small hole in the wall which you care to make and "fish" such leads from the "power supply" and the "signal source" concerned, wherever they may be located.

If 120 V is not required as a direct input to the "soundbar", its Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) may be located elsewhere and the required "Extra Low Voltage" fed via small holes in the wall.
It would be a good idea to install suitable "grommets" (as required) behind the TV for the "signal" and elsewhere for the "Extra Low Voltage" supply to power the Soundbar - using IEC terminology as regards to Voltage.

Again, Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Is $110 (or whatever) really so "expensive" as compared to the price which you have already paid for the equipment concerned.
So no, $110 is not so expensive for a finishing touch, but the issue I have is at the bottom there is an "inlet" and that would expose a power cable going from the nearest outlet to the inlet. I don't have a cabinet below this television so it would be rather unsightly and maybe the wider wall plate behind the sound-bar would be more suitable.

I reached out to the company that makes the product and asked if I could wire the bottom portion directly into a junction box and their response was: "In order to maintain the ETL certification and NEC code compliance the system would have to be used as designed"

I certainly don't want to violate any code as if something happened my insurance would likely not cover it.

Quote:
...If 120 V is not required as a direct input to the "soundbar", its Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) may be located elsewhere and the required "Extra Low Voltage" fed via small holes in the wall...
So yes, the input to the bar is 14V DC. Can this be run through the wall and still maintain code compliance? If so, this may be the best solution, I can mount the power supply behind the television and run the 14V DC through the wall.

I appreciate everyone's input!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,792

Yes, the 14VDC wire can be run inside the wall without an NEC issue.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Amazing! Thank you so much. It looks like this will be the best solution.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Quote:
Amazing! Thank you so much. It looks like this will be the best solution.
Previously, I gave a quote concerning the IEC.
Unfortunately, a large part of North America does not seem to give much credence to the "definitions" of the IEC.

Be that as it may.
Most of the remainder of the world DOES take notice of the "definitions" from that organisation - be it only in "nomenclature".

However, you MUST take notice of whatever minimum "regulations" are applicable in your "territory" - for "insurance" purposes, at least.
You can, of course, go beyond these "minimum" regulations and do better.

Again, Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
A standard size wall plate being 2.75 inches and my soundbar being only 1.75 inches.
Paint the open areas of the plate? A small can would cost maybe $4-5. May not be the solution you are looking for but could be easier. Though I guess you are planning to fish the LV wires directly into the wall.
alok_sathaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok_sathaye View Post
Paint the open areas of the plate? A small can would cost maybe $4-5. May not be the solution you are looking for but could be easier. Though I guess you are planning to fish the LV wires directly into the wall.
Of course, those are (IEC) defined as "Extra Low Voltage" conductors.
The IEC definition for "Low Voltage" (LV) includes 120 V AC.

It really would be a wonderful idea if the USA could "get up to speed" with the IEC and the rest of the "English Speaking" world.

SI and "Merrication" would also be "good", since one does need to use SI terminology for ALL electrical quantities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement