Multiple Sub Panels? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Multiple Sub panels?

Hey everyone, I was recently asked to look at the wiring in a small shop, so they could add circuits for a medium sized horticultural space. There are two upstairs offices with the usual computers and lighting, etc, and downstairs two plant rooms with fairly extensive lighting needs. 10 1000W High pressure sodium ballasts and lights, as well as 8 fans. should a standard 40 space, 200 amp panel be sufficient to power this whole outfit? They want to add a subpanel just to service the lighting, but I am wondering if that's even necessary.
imagefxphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Since this is a commercial space there are liability and insurance issues that would require a licensed contractor. They should also know how to perform a demand load calculation.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Yeah I told them that, we are not just dealing with the black and white of it. We are also dealing with an economy where contractors are trying to sell them the whole warehouse because they look like they have money. They are friends, and I would like to help make sure they don't get ripped off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 506

Ususally sub pannels are mandated when there are long runs. If you are just looking for high power, 1 big pannel will do it easier and cheaper.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

Thanks. All my expertise is in RF propagation, although I did learn AC and DC theory like electricians do, just not to the extent of a qualified electrical contractor. When I got the phone call, they had been given a bid of some 3500 dollars including TWO separate subpanels, including one just upstairs from the main panel, about a 12 foot run, which is absurd to me. At present, there are a grand total of 13 110 drops into the main panel, as well as 1 240 drop. the main panel is a 12 space, so I am thinking the main breaker is only a 100 or 125 amp, you can't really tell because there is nothing written on it. the lighting will be about 30 feet from the main panel, so I was thinking that replacing the main panel with a 200 amp 40 place would fix this whole issue, perhaps a main lug 12 place subpanel to support the lighting?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

Well, big thanks for the folks who took the time to reply, I am off to find more answers, and an honest electrical contractor! If any of you are in or near the lake elsinore, CA area, please send me a private message. I have a job for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement