Moving Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 772

Moving Panel

I have been in my house for a few months now and am just about finished with the things that need immediate attention and am starting to plan future projects.

I am planning a basement bathroom addition. I am planning for the bathroom to be where my 100A panel currently is. I would like to move the panel 20 feet along the same back wall to my garage and upgrade to 200A. I do not want a subpanel where the current panel is because that would look ugly in a nice new bathroom.

I will have a licensed electrician do the work.

MY QUESTION IS: being I have 12-15 circuits running to the current location, I would then have to run all these circuits to the garage. How do I go about doing this? I want to know if this is feasable before I get too far into the planning. Would I have to find the first junction from the panel for each circuit and pull a new wire to this junction that would reach the proposed new panel location? If so, is there any easy way to find the first junction other than guessing? Or is there a better way to do this. I am handy enough to do this. I totally wired a basement finish in my previous house with an army of stringent inspectors poring over my handiwork.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,978

Either back to the first junction or to a place where you can install an accessible junction box to add you extension of cable.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

I am in Minneapolis.

Any idea how to figure out where the first junction box is for each circuit?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

your going to have to pull all new home runs. this is going to be a ton of work finding where they go, you could get a circuit tracer, your going to be opening a lot of boxes.

What about turning the panel around whats on the other side of the wall?

You can use the old panel as a big J box also, but i guess that would defeat the purpose of the whole job.

if your going to try to locate all the home runs, do once circuit at a time, turn everything else off but that circuit so u know whats on it, then start opening the closest boxes to the panel for the home run, think about how they might have wired it.
longbeach1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

There may be some nice way to hide the box (or if you turn the panel into a huge breaker box) with a nice access panel. I'd rather have a framed in panel on my bathroom wall than do all the work to move it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Where are you located ?
Dave, do you have that question on a macro?

Last edited by secutanudu; 02-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

The other side of the wall is underground. Besides, I would like the box to stay inside. I would also like to get it to the garage. I want to frame and wire the garage. I am the third owner, with the previous having owned 40+ years and the tuck under garage having exactly one outlet for the garage door opener.

I will look into the tracer. I will do the extra work to make things look perfect.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Chaos Engineer

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach1125 View Post
your going to have to pull all new home runs. this is going to be a ton of work finding where they go, you could get a circuit tracer, your going to be opening a lot of boxes.

What about turning the panel around whats on the other side of the wall?

You can use the old panel as a big J box also, but i guess that would defeat the purpose of the whole job.

if your going to try to locate all the home runs, do once circuit at a time, turn everything else off but that circuit so u know whats on it, then start opening the closest boxes to the panel for the home run, think about how they might have wired it.

This is truth.

I can feel your pain with the panel being in a bad spot my last house in Blaine had it in one of the bedrooms.

If you do leave it in the bath and frame it up nice just remember you need to keep free access to the panel and also remember there are codes to how much room you have between the panel and any door or wall.

Post a pic of the panel and surrounding wall so we can see what you are working with. That will help us understand your issue and come up with a reasonable fix.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #9

Thanks Big. The question is all about tracing wires and the complexity with that. I have did some searching on that. I never knew what it (tracing) was called.

I moved into an estate home in a very nice neighborhood in Edina. I am working on bringing the house up to date and hopefully turning around in a couple years. Access panels in bathrooms in Edina don't look too hot. That isn't an option in my book.

B
Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
There may be some nice way to hide the box (or if you turn the panel into a huge breaker box) with a nice access panel. I'd rather have a framed in panel on my bathroom wall than do all the work to move it...
Thats correct. Turn the panel into a junction box, remove all the guts and build a nice cover and frame to go over it. Then all you have to do is run new wires over to the new panel. Put the old panel cover back on and put blanks on all the open slots, and fill the open holes. It must remain accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach1125 View Post
He does not have to pull all new home runs. He could use the old panel for a junction box (easiest way) or he could use regular j-boxes for the connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N8 View Post

If you do leave it in the bath and frame it up nice just remember you need to keep free access to the panel and also remember there are codes to how much room you have between the panel and any door or wall.
Panels are not allowed in bathrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Thanks Big. The question is all about tracing wires and the complexity with that. I have did some searching on that. I never knew what it (tracing) was called.

I moved into an estate home in a very nice neighborhood in Edina. I am working on bringing the house up to date and hopefully turning around in a couple years. Access panels in bathrooms in Edina don't look too hot. That isn't an option in my book.

B
Why are you concerning yourself with all this. You said an electrician was going to do it. So are you really doing it or is a qualified person doing it?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Chaos Engineer

Rewards Points: 152

You could build it in a none clothes closet which is in the bathroom. This is why i explained how the check for the correct offset from the walls and from the front of the door.

But for what he is doing a full relocation would be the best.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement