Moving The Meter - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Moving the meter

I am building a garage and eventually would like to move my service meter from the side of the house to the side of the garage. Can someone advise me on what do I need to consider before committing myself ?
Manicmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmech View Post
I am building a garage and eventually would like to move my service meter from the side of the house to the side of the garage. Can someone advise me on what do I need to consider before committing myself ?
1. Contact the power company
2. Contact an electrician.
Moving a meter is not a DIY project,
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here we are not allowed to work on the main feed
Check with your building Dept 1st

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

Good advice from HouseHelper. The power Company has all kinds of arcane rules and regulations to you or to me, but for them their rules are required to make a safe installation.

When I upgraded my 1954 six C/B panel (with No Main) to a 200 Amp service with a Main and two load Centers with 54 breakers, I thought moving the Meter six feet was going to be the easiest part of the job. I was Wrong.

I live in the area serviced by the LA Power Department which has a whole set of their own rules and regulations covering the Utility transformer to the Meter connections. I didn't have any problem with the LA Building & Safety Permitting process for the new panels, but the Meter change of position from the side of the house to the front was chaotic.

The "Meter Spotter' from the Power Company had a whole list of required changes to my plan, which I eventually all agreed to except for one which I thought was minor. I checked with a close friend connected to Building and Safety to see if there was a way to get around what I thought was an obstinate and trivial ruling.

My friend told me flat out there was no way to go around his ruling and that the spotter had all the time in the world to make my life miserable. So I capitulated, that was a valuable lesson learned.

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-27-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I am expecting that there will be some issues. From what I understand, I need to provide main breaker within a few feet of the service entrance to a structure. I can put that on the side of the garage, then feed the house off of that through an underground line and turn my current 200 amp panel into a sub panel. The main reason I want to move the meter is because when the garage is built, the service line will come in between the garage and the house, which can only lead to trouble sooner or later.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

The garage is detached from the house?

So, meter, main shut off/panel in the garage, then feeding a 200a in the house as a sub?
Any current power running from the house to the garage?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 266

There can also be other complications, such as many older homes have a 3 wire circuit going to the kitchen range, which is fine when it originates at the service equipment. If the panel is changed to a subpanel, the old range cable has to be replaced too. It may not be a problem in your case.

One way to handle this would be to bury a 2" PVC conduit under the garage slab entering the basement into the back of the panel, then sweeping up on the outside of the side of the garage into the bottom of the meter socket. Or, put the main panel in the garage back to back to the meter and refeed the house from the garage panel. (the house panel would be a sub)

You need an electrician bud.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #8

Garage is 10 feet away from the house, only foundation so far, so no power to the garage yet. I've been told a number of things, an will surely get an electrician when the time comes. I just want to have a game plan before I call one in.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #9

House was built in 2005, garage just started last week.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
House was built in 2005, garage just started last week.
Then the three wire range / dryer thing shouldn't be something that you have to worry about. There are definitely multiple ways of handling this project.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Meter Main

Why not just put a Meter Main Combo in place of your meter now and go with undergound service. Cutler Hammer makes a 200 amp 8-16 meter main combo then you can feed the garage off of the meter main.This is not the cutler hammer i could not find a pic of it Looks like this supply shop has them. Good Luck on your project.

Last edited by 300zx; 09-26-2009 at 10:12 PM.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #12

AH...just building the garage
Did you bury conduit (thru foundation) for the run from the garage to the house?
Detached so you would need grounding rods at the garage
Is the breaker panel inside the house?
With winters here I wouldn't want a combo unit outside, & I'm further South

Are you moving it to the far side of the garage, not near the house?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #13
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

Quote:
..... I just want to have a game plan before I call one in.
What i learned in my Meter change experience experience was that I should have called the meter spotter in early before I finalized my design. Here in LA the "Meter Spotter" is called that because that is what he does, He spots the location for the Meter. Call the power Company now. Look at it as a free consult. If you do not have a definitive plan now, they can still advise you on the options. Besides that Meter Spotters love to give advice and it's free. If you change your plan later there is no impact because initially you don't sign up for a specific plan. You just get a consult.

Dave brought up a good point about climate. Here in sunny So Cal it still rains. When I moved the meter to the front of the house I left the location for the main panel on the side of the house. It's been 25 years, but I still think it would have been nice to have found a space inside the house.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #14

Putting conduit in front of the garage, buried under the driveway apron (if something goes wrong I won't have to break floor) from the far corner to the house. Want to put meter on the far side of the garage, then send power to the breaker panel in the house. also want to tap off for power to the garage. Does that make sense ?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #15

Is this what you were looking for ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement