Moving Circuits To A Sub Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving circuits to a sub panel

Quick question, I am moving some circuits to a subpanel, and some of them will be spliced inside the main panel. Can I leave the ground in the main panel and just run the positive and neutral wires to the new subpanel? Or does the circuit need to be grounded inside the same panel as the breaker is located?
Davandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

All grounding conductors need to be bonded. Leave them on the bar. Add another bar if more space is needed
Arrow3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

You need equipment grounding conductors for the new wire to the sub also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #4

Hmmm

I understand that all circuits need to be grounded. My question is does the moved circuit need to be grounded inside the sub panel, or can I leave the ground in the main panel grounded there. The moved circuit will be spliced in the main panel anyway, and I was thinking of leaving the ground in the main panel instead of moving it with the spliced wires. Does that make sense?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #5

Oh man. Your terms are all wacky I think. Grounded conductor means a neutral wire. Equipment grounding conductor means any normally non current carrying conductor with a low enough impedance to open an overcurrent protection device. You need an equipment grounding conductor (EGC or grounding) on any new wire you run.
I think your post is if you need an EGC at your sub for your circuit extentions and your answer is yes. There's also AFCI issues most likely
Old 10-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #6

OK perhaps I am not explaining myself well, sorry I am no where close to an electrician. The circuits I am moving contain 3 wires one of them is the ground. The ground is currently connected to the ground bar in my main panel. I am moving these circuits to a sub panel. The sub panel has a grounding bar as well. I was trying to ask if I could leave the ground wire connected to the ground bar in the main panel when I move the other two lines to the new breaker in the sub panel. It just seemed silly to have to move the ground to the sub panel's ground bar when it is all connected anyway. I am not talking about the white neutral wire but the bare copper ground, Does this make it any clearer?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 127

To do to code you need to have isolated neutral and ground bus in the sub panel. You run one 4 wire cable from the main to the sub. Two hots, a ground and a neutral. All of your sub panel circuits must terminate in the sub panel. You should terminate all in the sub panel, including the ground .
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
You should terminate all in the sub panel, including the ground .
Ahh ok this is what I have been trying to ask, thank you for the response, looks like I will be rerunning some ground wire.
BTW I do have a floating neutral and a separate ground in the sub panel
as well as two hots 240v.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement