Moving Att Uverse Router, NID Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 PM  

Moving att Uverse router, NID help

Hello there! I hope someone can help me. Long story short, my husband and I had a baby, and my home office turned into a nursery. ATT came and moved my router from the nursery to my kitchen-where my computer is now set up. But now my husbands PlayStation wifi connection is horrible.

So now here we are: I don't want to pay another $150 for ATT to move it. I see where the cat5 line is running from the NID into the kitchen, I popped open the plate cover and saw only the green line is running into the blue connect in the jack. (I may not be using exact terms-i apologize). And then the green data cable runs from the jack to the router. My router is provided by ATT, model NVG589.

I have a cat5e cable coming in from outside next to my TV, maybe from when we had Uverse TV long ago? Anyways, I opened up that 0plate cover and it had the orange and blue lines hooked into the orange and green on the jack. I bought a new jack and hooked the green lines into the blue just like it was in the kitchen.

I went back to the NID and opened up the Telco side ?. I saw that there is some kind of plastic connector where the 4 color strands are plugged in from the street line and then the green strands from the cat5 line going into the kitchen were plugged into two little holes. I pulled those out and stuck the green lines from the living room cat5 in.

Seems like I did a good job matching everything up, right?! Well my router keeps giving me a blinking light that alternates between green and red, bouncing between broadband 1 and 2.

That's pretty much where my willingness to experiment ended...but when I plugged my router back in the kitchen and switched the green wires back on that main connector thing in the NID box my router is still doing the same thing! So now I have no internet.

Can anyone offer any advice for getting my router to either work in the kitchen again or in the living room as preferred? I don't want to call ATT, 1 because I don't want to pay them and 2 I don't know if I can get in trouble for opening up the telco side of the NID box?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Images attached...the jack laying on the wood floor is the original one that was hooked up to the router. The one in my hand is the one I tried to set up in the living room
Attached Thumbnails
Moving att Uverse router, NID help-image_1469074980663.jpg   Moving att Uverse router, NID help-image_1469075007126.jpg   Moving att Uverse router, NID help-image_1469075032381.jpg   Moving att Uverse router, NID help-image_1469075144086.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 PM  

I think it's the weird plastic connector inside the NID box that isn't working so great, but if anyone can confirm or offer another theory I would like to hear! Also, if I am on the right track thinking it's the plastic piece...what is this called and can I buy it at Home Depot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,426

Re: Moving att Uverse router, NID help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaALF View Post
Hello there! I hope someone can help me. Long story short, my husband and I had a baby, and my home office turned into a nursery. ATT came and moved my router from the nursery to my kitchen-where my computer is now set up. But now my husbands PlayStation wifi connection is horrible.

So now here we are: I don't want to pay another $150 for ATT to move it. I see where the cat5 line is running from the NID into the kitchen, I popped open the plate cover and saw only the green line is running into the blue connect in the jack. (I may not be using exact terms-i apologize). And then the green data cable runs from the jack to the router. My router is provided by ATT, model NVG589.

I have a cat5e cable coming in from outside next to my TV, maybe from when we had Uverse TV long ago? Anyways, I opened up that 0plate cover and it had the orange and blue lines hooked into the orange and green on the jack. I bought a new jack and hooked the green lines into the blue just like it was in the kitchen.

I went back to the NID and opened up the Telco side ?. I saw that there is some kind of plastic connector where the 4 color strands are plugged in from the street line and then the green strands from the cat5 line going into the kitchen were plugged into two little holes. I pulled those out and stuck the green lines from the living room cat5 in.

Seems like I did a good job matching everything up, right?! Well my router keeps giving me a blinking light that alternates between green and red, bouncing between broadband 1 and 2.

That's pretty much where my willingness to experiment ended...but when I plugged my router back in the kitchen and switched the green wires back on that main connector thing in the NID box my router is still doing the same thing! So now I have no internet.

Can anyone offer any advice for getting my router to either work in the kitchen again or in the living room as preferred? I don't want to call ATT, 1 because I don't want to pay them and 2 I don't know if I can get in trouble for opening up the telco side of the NID box?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Images attached...the jack laying on the wood floor is the original one that was hooked up to the router. The one in my hand is the one I tried to set up in the living room
While AnnaALF may be completely serious, this all looks so much like a complete joke that I had to check some of the quoted items.

Here are a few observations, from someone far, far away.

AnnaALF is quite happy using the terms NID (Network Interface Device) and Cat 5, but, while a very messy NID may (possibly) be pictured, I can discern no trace of what I would call a Cat 5 "cable" properly terminated in any way - just the "pairs" of (perhaps) Blue, Orange, Green, Brown (and their "mates".)

The Motorola NVG589 device "supplied by ATT" is an ADSL Modem, which should be connected to the "telephone" pair (usually, Blue and White).
(See http://community.arubanetworks.com/a...%20Gateway.pdf)

However, if one is also using the "line" concerned to derive a Telephone service (from ATT), it would be necessary to interpose a ADSL/Telephone filter between the "Line" and the Telephone plus ADSL Modem? (No such device has been pictured or mentioned, so, presumably, no telephone service is provided at the premises concerned.)

I await, with interest, any response from anyone closer to the OP who can shed light on what appears a very "messy" situation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,800

Re: Moving att Uverse router, NID help

Does the Playstation work well in any room?

Which rooms does the computer internet work well in?

Are there other jacks in other rooms where the router can be plugged and does the computer work with the router moved to a different room?
Advertisement