Modern Day FPE - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Modern Day FPE

We see so many people coming in here every week with Stab-Lok FPE junk... usually causing problems, or because an electrician wouldn't touch it and recommended a panel replacement.

It makes me wonder, is there anything that is currently being installed that is on the same level of shoddiness? After all, those FPEs were and still are UL approved.

So what do you all think? Are there any products out there that you just don't feel right installing?
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
We see so many people coming in here every week with Stab-Lok FPE junk... usually causing problems, or because an electrician wouldn't touch it and recommended a panel replacement.

It makes me wonder, is there anything that is currently being installed that is on the same level of shoddiness? After all, those FPEs were and still are UL approved.

So what do you all think? Are there any products out there that you just don't feel right installing?
Hmmm... That's hard to say until after the fact. FPE used to have a very good reputation, and was a trusted name. Then something changed and they produced a generation of breakers that caused their downfall.

I don't think any modern breaker manufacturer is going to make those same mistakes. They may make new ones, like outsourcing to Mexico or China.

I personally don't like installing the Chinese made devices. Most GFCIs are made in China now, and that's pretty much all you can buy. But I have this bad feeling that something bad is going to come of it.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

I don't know if there is any truth to this. It was posted under "Electrical/Do I need to replace panel" (or similar) at this site.
"Federal panels lost there UL listing because a lot of the breakers didn't trip and caused a lot of fires." Just sharing, David

Last edited by Thurman; 08-03-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you looked at this site?

There was absolute fraud and deception with the UL testing folks that contributed to their downfall.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #5

More on FPE's

Quote:

FYI (not FPE) The Underwriters Laboratories (UL) removed their certification from the FPE products about 25 years ago. The Canadian FPE products were of a higher quality. From the mountains of information that is out there, I gathered that at some point the Company took some shortcuts in the manufacturing process which resulted in shoddy and DANGEROUS products. It turned out, according to some sources that they misrepresented the true situation to the UL. Thus, they removed their approval. (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #6

Addendum to previous post

Quote:

Not to my knowledge (which isn't saying much). But there is another brand of breakers that was banned, too. Bull Dog. Apparently for the same reasons. That's a pity. They were such beautiful (if you can say that about an inanimate object) breakers. Then there is the issue of shoddy products manufactured in a certain Asian country. With a phony UL seal, of course. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement