Which Method Is More "correct"? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

Which method is more "correct"?

Just a random question I was thinking about that I wanted to run by the pros.

Which of these scenarios would be considered to be "the right way" to power and switch a light.

You run the main power cable to the light device box first, then run a cable from the light device box to the switch.

OR

You run power to the switch device box first, and then switched hot to the light device box?

I know you can do it either way depending on the situation you're faced with, but would one be "the right way"?
Personally I like to run the power to the switch first, and then to the light, that way when you're trying to make changes or trace something you know where the power is coming in and where it ends so-to-speak.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: Which method is more "correct"?

Either method is correct---however, power to the switch box first saves some wire--as switch boxes require a neutral in the USA--even though it will not be used--only capped and waiting for a future use.
Jim Port (06-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Either method is correct---however, power to the switch box first saves some wire--as switch boxes require a neutral in the USA--even though it will not be used--only capped and waiting for a future use.
Why would you cap the neutral in this case? (<-- edited to be more specific, I realize you answered this though)

If the power cable runs from the main panel to the switch, then your neutral would be capped together with the neutral running to the light.

I honestly don't understand the "neutral in a switch is required" in this instance because a neutral would have to be brought in to make the light work anyway.

Now if I ran power to the light first, then you would need to use 14/3 and use red and black for the switched power, leaving the neutral hanging and capped.

But what is the reason for requiring a neutral wire in a switch box? even if you change the switch to something else, you're going to be left with one unused wire.

I don't think having a neutral in a switch enclosure is required in Ontario though, it's something I've NEVER seen done here and I don't think it's in the CEC.

Last edited by Killavolt; 06-25-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Killavolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 36

Yeah you don't need a neutral at the switch according to CEC. But I think the issue is in using the white wire as a hot. I'm not sure if you can do it without rendering the white wire "unidentifiable".
cjp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,592

The neutral is there for smart switching. Those switches need a neutral to operate properly. Some timers also need neutrals.
jhil (06-26-2016), Killavolt (06-26-2016), oh'mike (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 36

Ah, don't think that is in the CEC yet. Though my edition is .a 2011
cjp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement