Metal Boxes And Grounding - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

metal boxes and grounding

I have a ground wire in a metal box. I just cant attach that ground wire to the grounding screw but instead I have a separate wire/pigtail and and attach that to the grounding screw. Is that correct? If it is correct, is there a particular reason in doing it that way.
Thank you
jrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 910

Your questions is confuesing but i am assumeing you have a cable that comes into the box that has a ground wire. This ground wire needs to go to the ground screw in the box and if your putting a plug on there you can leave it long enough to go under the screw and then unto your plug.

You can also take that ground wire under the screw leave it long and put a pigtail on it and then take that to your plug.

You can also put a wre under your screw on the plug and take that right to the screw on the box, as long as the box is grounded.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thank you for getting back to me. It is actually a light. Its a metal octagon box and there is a bare copper wire entering the box. Just attach it to the groundscrew or do I need to make a pigtail and connect that to the ground screw?
jrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,800

If the bare wire does not reach the screw, then use a pigtail.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

If the switch has a ground screw, then I would put a pig-tail on the box and the switch and connect both to the bare wire.

I'm not sure that grounds are required on a switch (haven't found a grounded switch yet in my house build 12 years ago). But for me, it just makes sense that if there is a ground screw there, then I should connect it to ground.

If the ground wire is long enough, I suppose you could "rabbit ear" it around the ground screw in the box and then attach it to the switch ground as well. That way, everything has a ground and you do it without any pigtails.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
skidrowpete

Rewards Points: 12

the way i interperet the code if a plastic(non metallic) box and non metallic face plate is used residential switches need not be grounded i say residential because all commercial /industrial is usually in some type of metallic raceway and hence the call for a metal box all metal boxes have to be grounded in any situation whether it be a switch juction box or light fixture
skidrowpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement