Maximum Load Of A Power Meter - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Maximum load of a power meter

Hi!

Question: is there a way to understand what is the peak maximum load (normally in housing should be 3 kW) just by looking at the power meter?

Im attaching two pictures of the meter.

The transformer is private and is 25kV, if it helps.

Maximum load of a power meter-20200722_142927.jpg

Maximum load of a power meter-20200722_142931.jpg
galagones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
Licenced Electrician

Rewards Points: 54

Re: Maximum load of a power meter

How did you come up with a normal peak load of 3kw? Lots of appliances will easily exceed that.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
How did you come up with a normal peak load of 3kw? Lots of appliances will easily exceed that.
Believe it or not, in Italy 3kw is what houses use.

But this meter is from Colombia, which I believe is very different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 126

I think I see marking of 100 amps.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I think I see marking of 100 amps.
Yes.

It states:

2x120/208V 2X20(100)A

What does it mean?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #6

' Question: is there a way to understand what is the peak maximum load (normally in housing should be 3 kW) just by looking at the power meter?

The transformer is private and is 25kV, if it helps. '

I'm not really sure what you're asking, however if it helps, the meter is rated at 250V, 100A. So that can not legally be exceeded when specifying the load it will serve. To calc out power, it's V x A / 1000 for KW. Again I'm not sure what you're looking for. So one would need a voltage reading plus an amp draw for that calculation. That calculation is for single phase only. If one wanted to be really accurate, one would also include the power factor (PF) which is basically insignificant for what you're wanting. Lastly, do you mean a "25kva" transformer? A 25kv transformer would not make sense. Is that 25kv the primary voltage? What's the secondary voltage? Probably just a typo. Hope this helps.
Controls5779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controls5779 View Post
' Question: is there a way to understand what is the peak maximum load (normally in housing should be 3 kW) just by looking at the power meter?

The transformer is private and is 25kV, if it helps. '

I'm not really sure what you're asking, however if it helps, the meter is rated at 250V, 100A. So that can not legally be exceeded when specifying the load it will serve. To calc out power, it's V x A / 1000 for KW. Again I'm not sure what you're looking for. So one would need a voltage reading plus an amp draw for that calculation. That calculation is for single phase only. If one wanted to be really accurate, one would also include the power factor (PF) which is basically insignificant for what you're wanting. Lastly, do you mean a "25kva" transformer? A 25kv transformer would not make sense. Is that 25kv the primary voltage? What's the secondary voltage? Probably just a typo. Hope this helps.
Probably not just typos since I'm not an expert at all, but I'll explain the long story so I can be clearer.

I have a piece of land without a house for now. I'm planning to put a container as an office for now. The neighbors very kindly are giving me the possibility to extend a cable from a spotlight they have on the limit of our lands and use some electricity. Why? Because here is a pita to get a permit to connect to the grid if you are not building something or don't have a house. So in the meantime I develop the project and get all the permits, my idea is this:

Extend the cable from their spotlight to the container (approx. 60meters), in the middle put all I need (a partial meter, not sure you call it like this, breakers etc.) and use the power while paying them a higher kwh.

Si my concern is: what is the maximum peak power their meter can reach? Let's say I turn on ac in the container + microwave for few seconds and in total I'll get around 3 kwp, if you sum this to my neighbor power peak, will the meter exceed load capacity? Is there a way to limit my partial meter just to 3 kw load capacity? Because the neighbors are nice but if I start creating problems to their line they will probably regret the decision.

Thank you, hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
Licenced Electrician

Rewards Points: 54

Some digital revenue meters have will show peak load as the display scrolls through a bunch of different readings. That one will not.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
Some digital revenue meters have will show peak load as the display scrolls through a bunch of different readings. That one will not.
Ok thank you for answering.

So what do you suggest to do to check my neighbors load capacity? Probably call the energy company and ask them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement