Makeup Air - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Makeup air

I need to have the range hood interlocked to the new furnace and the makeup air unit, who would do this? electrician or a HVAC guy? Can someone suggest a company in Calgary Alberta that will do this... So far I can't find anyone to connect these units together.
tron113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

So when your hood comes on the furnace will also come on along with the make up air? I deal with this kind of thing at work but usually with very large hoods.

Although I would say electrician I think your going to need a HVAC guy. If you tell your furnace to run but the temperature isn't telling it to run then it won't heat. In your case that's very bad...you could be bringing in 0* air. On the opposite in the summer if you told it to run but the temperature inside is fine then it would bring in hot humid air and not run the A/C. If you interlock it with the actual heat controls then your not going to maintain the comfort level in the area while the hood is on.

Long story short I would say HVAC and probably not your regular residential people but a bigger company that does commercial HVAC who has dealt with this before.
vseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Or maybe both at the same time! A HVAC person who is familiar with your system *and* an electrician.

Also people have different experience levels. Those who install things may not understand how they work. All they understand is connect the red wire to terminal A, blue wire to terminal B, etc.

An older HVAC "service" person would be more knowledgeable about how the circuits operate. They need to be able to find the problem. Need to understand how everything should work.

And same thing with electricians. Might want to find an electrician who is experienced with relays/contactors or industrial controls.

An electrician of that type would be capable of understanding the HVAC system, but would need a service manual and wiring diagrams. The electrician would not have access to this, the HVAC guy would.

BUT the electrician would probably be reluctant to touch the HVAC unit for fear of some problem cropping up and later being blamed as the cause of that problem! Or voiding the warranty.

And the HVAC guy is not going to want to touch the hood for the same reason.

So you get the two together and they can then talk "technical talk" and come up with some sort of common "interface". Perhaps the electrician could install a relay in the HVAC room and the HVAC guy could wire his unit into that.

This is done with fire alarms and elevators. The fire alarm, when triggered, sends the elevators to the 1st floor. But to connect it, you need the fire alarm guy and the elevator guy both there to connect the two systems. The fire alarm guy would never set foot in the elevator room. And the elevator guy would never touch the fire alarm control box.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, so like I said I live in Calgary and it's part of the code to have the range hood interlocked with the furnace and with the range hood at 600 CFM max then you need a makeup air unit. The makeup air unit has a heater inside that will come on when the temp is below a set degree. I'll have to just keep talking to different companies and see.

Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #5

So does the make up air feed the furnace, like a return duct? If so, and it has it's own heat, you could just interlock the fan relay of the furnace so when the hood is on the furnace and MAU are on. When it's cold outside the MUA will take care of itself and technically in the summer the house will start to warm up if your pulling in warm outside air and your thermostat will compensate by turning the air on.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
who would do this? electrician or a HVAC guy?
Electrician.

If there is an fire suppresion system required, that will be a seperate contractor.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #7

No fire supperession system.

Yes the MUA unit feeds the furnace and is heated so it doesn't bring in cold air in the winter, in the summer it will bring in warm air if it's warm outside. So you sound like you know what to do! When can you come over and do it? lol...
My main problem is trying to find someone who will do it for me, I'm not an electrician or a HVAC guy... I did have an electrician hook up the MUA unit to the hood fan with some relay but he wouldn't go near the new furnace...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

Do you have a standard thermostat? In other words is there a fan contact where if it's jumpered it will turn on the fan? It sounds like the electrician hooked up a relay that when the hood turns on the relay energizes, and when the relay energizes it turns on the MUA. You just need the exact same thing to your fan contact on the furnace. The same electrician should be able to do that. In fact, if I were you, I'd add a second relay to do it. Have him do the exact same thing he did for the MUA relay again for the furnace fan contactor. So:

Hood Turns on -> Turns on a relay for the MUA and a relay for the furnace.

This way if you ever needed you could pull out a relay to keep the furnace from running when the hood was on (for whatever reason) but not affect the MUA or vice versa.

Again...I'm not a electrician but I do work for a commercial HVAC company. If I had that code requirement this is how I would wire it. Speaking of if it's code and your concerned with it I'm assuming you pulled permits. Ask your inspector what he wants to see.

-Allan
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,914

Does your furnace have central A/C also.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #10

No AC unit in the house.

I think I remember the electrician telling me that there is room on the relay for the furnace, but he doesn't want to touch the new furnace because of his lack of knowledge with furnaces.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,914

Then its easy to interconnect.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement