Magnetic Power Switch - How Do I Install This? (Diagram And Pics Included) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Magnetic Power Switch - How do I install this? (Diagram and Pics included)

Here is the magnetic hotel power switch I bought for my hotel rooms that I'm currently constructing. Electrical is currently being installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC220V-Hotel.../181603344692?

There is a diagram and in inside look at the switch and the magnetic "key".

I live in a province in the Philippines so my electrician and architect aren't very "schooled" on every technology. They both think I have to install a magnetic circuit breaker for each room in order to make this work. That's what they did at another hotel that uses power switches similar to this.

Not sure why they think I have to use magnetic breaker, that's not mentioned at all in the photos or description of the item and everybody I've talked to in the USA doesn't understand that thinking. I researched magnetic breakers and it doesn't make sense to me what this has to do with a power switch.

I thought this was simple. This is just a light switch that turns on/off every other outlet, light socket, light switch, fan, etc connected to it like a Water Dam holds/releases water for rivers. I would think this could be connected to a car battery let alone just a standard circuit breaker, what in the world does a Magnetic Circuit Breaker have to do with this!?!

Please, anyone, just give me an explanation if I actually do need a magnetic circuit or why i don't need one. A layman explanation would be great since I'll have to explain why to my electrician how to install it differently if he is doing it wrong.

Please no answers like, "You're stupid, listen to the professional." I WISH I was dealing with quality pro's but AGAIN this is a PROVINCE in the PHILIPPINES. These people learn ON THE JOB. They don't go to 4 years of school and get a certification, and even if they do, they don't understand half of it because they never see most of what Americans view as "common." I DONT HAVE A CHOICE, THATS HOW THE WORLD WORKS IN PLACES LIKE THIS. Sorry for the caps, I've been repeatedly lectured and name called on forums for asking this one question I thought would be simple with a straight forward yes or no + short explanation answer.

Thanks!!

Last edited by foxman09; 12-30-2014 at 12:37 AM.
foxman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #2

Update: I figured out there was a mistranslation. They meant a "relay." Then it made sense to me once I read about what a relay is because it matches their description of what they kept called a magnetic circuit breaker. So, I should ask, if my switch is rated for 15 AMPS, and my country is 220V, doesn't that mean the switch can support up to 3300 watts? The total watts that can be possibly used in each room is going to be about 850 watts (not including the increased watts used when turning on an air conditioner). Do I need a relay if that's the case?
The Following User Says Thank You to foxman09 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Rewards Points: 262

It would seem the switch is a relay. With a programmed magnetic strip that activates it. I'm NO electrician. Just an observation.
clw1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,832

Those wiring diagrams are false and difficult to understand. I don't think Id be going by wiring labelled "fire" and "ground"
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Power Switch - How do I install this? (Diagram and Pics included)-_57.jpg  

Last edited by Jump-start; 12-30-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 520

Your switch is rated at 25 amps. Your ac unit is rated at 850 watt.
My math says no problem allowing the switch to handle the ac unit all by itself.

It actually looks like it is intended to do this job all by itself.
Try it out. The switch is under $14. See how well it holds up to repeated use.

When i was in Brazil, they had these card switches in our hotel rooms. I got tired of coming back at the end of the day to a hot hotel room so i asked for a spare card.
I would insert the spare card before i left the building.
The housekeeper removed it once while I was gone, so I put it back in with $10 US folded with the card and she never touched it again.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Sorry I forgot it was 25 AMPS. If my guests paid $10 to keep their aircon on all day that would be fine, otherwise now I know not to hand out extra power switch keys ;-)

Plus once I find a occupancy sensor that can handle my room circuits I'll replace these and then there will be no possibility for hacking or bribing for power haha.

Last edited by foxman09; 12-30-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #7

Hey Jump Start. You're the first one to bring this to my attention. Could you enlighten me about why this diagram is wrong? Do you have an idea of what is correct? I don't want to waste my electricians time if he is going to say the same thing when he sees it.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

I have one more question and I'll be on my way to having my guy test this. IF it actually can't handle wattage running through it what would happen? Would the circuit breaker shut off, would the power switch malfunction and fry, would everything connected to the switch possibly malfunction and fry, would nothing even turn on, etc?

Last edited by foxman09; 12-30-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Do I need a Relay?

That would depend on the trip/interrupt rating of the protection device for that circuit/room.

Last edited by clw1963; 12-30-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman09 View Post
Hey Jump Start. You're the first one to bring this to my attention. Could you enlighten me about why this diagram is wrong? Do you have an idea of what is correct? I don't want to waste my electricians time if he is going to say the same thing when he sees it.
Fire and ground are incorrect terms. If anything they should be Line and neutral assuming they are talking about 220 volt power. The rest of the instructions are not understandable. I also question the integrity of the product being sold.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #11

Sigh. Okay haha. This thing is giving me more headaches than I think it's worth.

It's being sold here on Alibaba too and they show pictures of the guts.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newes...239394496.html

Any comment about the integrity based on the photos? I question it's integrity too because I've encountered more than 1 broken magnetic power switch but I thought $15 was worth a try before I outfitted my hotel with them.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #12

I found another page that explains in poor english how it works.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fox-g...387614615.html

This was the line that caught my eye.

"Meanwhile, weStrongly recommendedManufacturers should do in every hotel room to install a separate circuit breaker with earth leakage protection( The power leakage protection circuit breaker should be card to take power switch labeled power )In order to protect customers in case of improper use of automatic power-off to ensure that the customer's personal safety , and the safety of the entire hotel line."

Are they recommending I don't have one central circuit breaker? Why would they recommend that?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
DIYer/PoleMonkey

I read it as you should have the magnetic strip switch protected by a gfci breaker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clw1963 For This Useful Post:
Jump-start (12-30-2014), mpoulton (01-02-2015)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman09 View Post

Are they recommending I don't have one central circuit breaker? Why would they recommend that?
I think what they're suggesting is that the switches should simply be installed on a separate GFI protected circuit.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by clw1963 View Post
I read it as you should have the magnetic strip switch protected by a gfci breaker.
Ha! You beat me!
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement