Low Voltage Wiring For Central Vac - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Low voltage wiring for central vac

Hi

I have rough in for central vacuum done by the builder in my house.
- On the main floor i have 2 wires coming out from one of the inlets, each wire having 4 small wires (green, yellow, red and black) inside. Then from the second inlet, there is only one wire coming out with 4 wires inside.
- On the second floor, there is one inlet with a wire with 4 small wires.
- In the basement, i have an inlet with a loop of wire coming out. Not sure if i need to cut this wire in order to connect to the inlet cover.
- In the garage, i have 2 pipes coming out, one from the ceiling and one from near the floor, each having one wire with 4 small wires inside.
What I want to know is :
1) how to connect the wires to the inlet covers inside the house?
2) how to connect the wires coming from the pipes in the garage to the central vacuum?
3) i take it that i need to connect the 2 pipes in the garage with a pipe and then connect it through a joint to the pipe in the central vacuum inlet. Right?
zeroes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 312

Re: Low voltage wiring for central vac

1) how to connect the wires to the inlet covers inside the house? = You can choose which two (2) colors you want to use. Make sure you use the same two (2) colors for ALL the connections you make through-out the house. For explanative purposes, let's say you choose red and black. On the exterior of each inlet fitting's pipe throat, you'll see two (2) screws (side-by-side). Put your red and black wires under those screws. It doesn't matter in which order. There is a metallic band on the hose attachments male end which electrically "makes" the circuit upon insertion.

2) how to connect the wires coming from the pipes in the garage to the central vacuum? = On the external side of your central vacuum's canister, you'll see a location to terminate two (2) control wires. Your red and black will go there. Doesn't matter which way (red then black, or black then red)....if you swap them around, it works the same.

3) i take it that i need to connect the 2 pipes in the garage with a pipe and then connect it through a joint to the pipe in the central vacuum inlet. Right? = Yes, use sweeping 90deg elbows though, not absolute 90's.

Last edited by Power-; 10-17-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
Power- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Need a few more clarifications.
In the basement, I should cut the loop wire and combine the 2 red wires together(from each end of the wire that was cut)and connect them to one of the screws of the inlet cover. Same treatment for the black wires, and connect them to the other screw, right?
Secondly, in the garage, I should combine the red wire coming from each of the 2 pipes (one from ceiling and the other close to the floor), connect them to one of the connectors on the central vacuum. And connect the black wires to the other connector of central vac, right?
zeroes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 312

"...Same treatment for the black wires, and connect them to the other screw, right?..." = yes, you are correct.

"...Secondly, in the garage, I should combine the red wire coming from each of the 2 pipes (one from ceiling and the other close to the floor), connect them to one of the connectors on the central vacuum. And connect the black wires to the other connector of central vac, right?..." = Yes again.
Power- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Power- For This Useful Post:
zeroes123 (10-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement