Looking For Ideas And Alternatives - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking for Ideas and Alternatives

We are looking at a multi unit building. This building has 3 floors and a basement, brick construction. Currently, the electrical is poor and looking to install a 400A main with 7 subpanels for each APT. The reasoning is we want to get the APT on their own electric heat. Question I have is what ideas does everyone have to run the wire to the units upstairs for the heat? Also, if I'm replacing the electrical panels, it would be a good idea to replace the wires for outlets, lights, etc... If I ran new wires from the subpanel boxes, it would be very difficult to run them up 2 or 3 floors. I was thinking of running them all in a conduit outside, then back inside to the APT. from there, run conduit to each receptacle and then cover the conduit with a baseboard trim. Wanted to get other idea and what you all think as well.

Thank,
TWK
kiwi_properties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

You need to ask your electrician. Working on a multi-unit building is definitely not DIY...
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?
As stated you are not allowed to do the electric (as far as I know) on an Apt building
You need a licensed electrician

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I can see how my message sounds like it's a diy and also posting on this forum. Although I'm an electrical engineer, I won't be doing the work. Liability. I posted on this site to get ideas and others point of views. Plus I'm sure contractors scan sites like this. Location is in western PA. Just looking for alternatives or ideas.
kiwi_properties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Sometimes building owners who are looking to reduce operating costs will also install hot water heaters in each apartment to replace a central hot water heater system. If you do that, maybe a small room would need to be built in each apartment and the electric run could be incorporated with that?

Then sometimes the layout of each floor is identical. And say 8 apartments per floor. You might be able to go straight up from the basement in 8 separate locations.

It really depends on the construction of the building and the layout of each apartment. I think you are best to ask some electricians. I assure you they will be able to come up with the easiest method possible!
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement