Light Switch "popping" - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Light switch "popping"

Hey all.
I have a light switch in my kitchen that makes a "popping" or "crackel" when it's turned on or off SOMEtimes. Other times there is no sound, it functions normally. Also, if I move the switch slowly, it prolongs the sound. The switch is on a 4-way circuit (3 switches controlling one light, that's a 4-way, right?) and the other two are normal.
I've swapped out the switch itself, that didn't solve anything, and as far as I can tell, the wiring looks fine back in there (no overexposed wires or anything)
Any ideas what's causing this and what I can do to not set a fire to my home? Thanks.
Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

even though you have changed the switch, to me, it still sounds like a switch arcing internally.

I would install a good quality switch (something a bit better than the 59 cent cheapies) and see if that changes anything.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,800

The switch is not making or breaking the connection fast enough to minimize the arc. The snappy feel to a switch is the mechanism used to make or break the connection fast.

An unusually worn or defective or incorrectly manufactured switch may have the contacts positioned in a way that even if the handle is moved fast, the gap between the contacts narrows or widens slowly whcih in turn prolongs the arc.
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

okay, I guess I'll try another switch, not a cheapie. It seems to me that even though it is a cheap switch, it's too convenient that it would be the same location with the same problem. I'll try it though. Thanks for the input. Any other opinions?
Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 506

Minimize any connection possibilities. Make sure the wire connections are tight...use the screws, don't 'back-stab' the switch. If these wires are wire-nutted inside the switch box before they are connected to the switch, make sure those connections are tight also.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement