Light Switch Change Problems-no Power - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

light switch change problems-no power

Hi all-ok. Changed 3 single light switches in my older mobile home-all on the same circuit-all old mobile home wiring with bare lines 6 inches in-I taped all bare wire-and replaced everything like I had found it with a new switch. The first one was a problem-it turned the sockets on but not my overhead lights-so googled it and I ended up taking what I thought was the "ground wire" off and squeezing it in with the top side screw-and everything worked great! 9 hours later-lights and sockets shut off to the whole side of the house! I checked the breaker and none were tripped-I shut off the main and turned it back on-and I shut each switch off and on seperately. Nothing. Seems both bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen light and 1/2 of livingroom are all on the same circuit-(I didn't know and ALOT of stuff plugged in.) The sockets on just the one side of trailor(2) and kitchen (3)work-nothing else. The fuse box is unreadable-except where someone marked for the dryer and a/c. I'm poor with little knowledge-so completely re-wiring is what needs to be done-but un-affordable and un realistic for a woman with little means. Any ideas? What did I do and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for any replies!
dctattoome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

Does your home have fuses or circuit breakers.

For fuses, check to see if any are blown and for cylindrical fuses without a glass window or sleeve, just try a new one.

For breakers, push each to the off position and then back on.

Is there another main switch or breaker outside in a box near the electric meter?

An electrician (maybe you with the knowledge) will have to do circuit tracing and trouble shooting.

The ground wire is not supposed to be connected to a switch terminal or anything like that. It is only supposed to be connected to other ground wires and/or metal junction boxes and/or the green screw attached to the metal strip that holds the switch or receptacle in the box.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-16-2010 at 07:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #3

light switch change problems

Thanks for the reply. None of the breakers were tripped-but still shut them all off and back on-even the main-and still nothing. After the switch-out of switches- everything worked -for 9 hours-then all shut off except a few outlets on another circuit. The first switch I changed I think is my problem-the ground wire thing-and the only way the lights and sockets to work like before the switch was to put the wire from the colored screw onto the first screw on the side with the wire that went there. (I tried it first on the bottom screw with that wire with negative results-no lights still.) These were suggestions from a googled site, and it seemed to work-briefly anyway. Should I try a new switch and put the ground back and just use lamps from another socket-having to leave the switch on to have power to the sockets? Anything is better than no power to 3/4 of the trailor. No meter to trace-no money to buy one. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

What was turned on during the 9 hours?

You at least need a
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1
and a bulb to check this out.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-16-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #5

Hi-lights were not on in one bedroom and bathroom and nothing plugged in or drawing power... but on in another bedroom-hallway-kitchen -not on in living room but a lamp was on.. Dryer was on. 2 tvs-one desktop computer-one laptop-one xbox 360-one fan. (This is a small 12 ft by 60 ft trailor-1969 which had some renovation done before I got it-unknown if any was electrical.)This is even less stuff than what normally could be on.
Also-took off the first light switch and looked around-found another wire that must have come off when I pulled the switch out. I put what I thought was the ground BACK to the colored screw and hooked this wire up to the bottom side screw with the wire already there. I also put another new switch on just in case the switch was bad. Still nothing when main turned back on-also turned each one off and on one by one as well. Still nothing. Can a circuit breaker go bad? Could I still have the first switch hooked up wrong? Should I check the other two switches to see if somethings wrong there? The first sockets and lights from the box I believe start there in the bedroom from the closet where nothing is working. I just don't understand how it worked with no problem for 9 hours and THEN shut everything off. Someone suggested I have another box outside of the trailor thats a main? There is a box out there on a pole with lines going through tubes into the ground out there-but I'm kinda nervous to try and open it. Thank you-any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement