Light Spreading Tape? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Light spreading tape?

I'm going to buy those cheap angel eyes to my car: ebay.com/itm/4-x-Multi-Color-RGB-LED-Halo-Rings-Light-90mm-5050-Super-Bright-Angel-Eyes-/121437948117

But I absolutely HATE how the lights in the ring appears to be dotted. I would like a very clean ring of light instead of a dotted ring. So is there any tape that I could put on the led ring that is spreading the light so it appears not to be dotted?

I want it to look like this: g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/UT88cCJXbhgXXagOFbXD/202261260/UT88cCJXbhgXXagOFbXD.jpg
Sparkeflett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,316

Try:
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-White-An.../dp/B006W2EKHE
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Try:
Eh, I wonder why they don't want to show a picture of the LEDs in action... Probably beacuse it looks like ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,428

That angel eye thing is probably illegal. You should not be messing with your car's safety equipment.
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiihy View Post
That angel eye thing is probably illegal. You should not be messing with your car's safety equipment.
It's legal to install police red/blue LEDs everywhere on my car, I can even install a police light bar on my roof if I want to, as long as I don't use it when driving on public roads.

"Messing with my car's safety equipment", you have to be kidding? What's the worst thing that could happen, my lights go out, which is extremely unlikely since the LED rings will be connected directly to the car's battery and it will have a fuse...

If you would have any knowledge about electricity you would be aware that nothing bad can happen by installing some LED decorations on my car.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Osh

Rewards Points: 40

Not cheap but what your looking for. Model specific.
http://oraclelights.com/automotive-l...CCFL-HALO-KITS
Osh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkeflett View Post

I want it to look like this: g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/UT88cCJXbhgXXagOFbXD/202261260/UT88cCJXbhgXXagOFbXD.jpg
So buy those.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkeflett View Post
"Messing with my car's safety equipment", you have to be kidding? What's the worst thing that could happen, my lights go out, which is extremely unlikely since the LED rings will be connected directly to the car's battery and it will have a fuse...

If you would have any knowledge about electricity you would be aware that nothing bad can happen by installing some LED decorations on my car.
Go to the automotive forum at CandlePowerForums and you will find why things like these are illegal.

The lights can cause distractions or glare.

Quote:
It's legal to install police red/blue LEDs everywhere on my car, I can even install a police light bar on my roof if I want to, as long as I don't use it when driving on public roads.
Yes, ok, use what you want when you are out in the bushes, but don't use those toys when you are around other vehicles.

How will they be installed? If you modify your headlight housings you may mess up something like the beam which may cause wrong amounts of light going in the wrong directions which can make it difficult for you to see or cause glare to other drivers. Also, don't forget, whenever you replace your headlamp assemblies (by replace I mean remove and place back in again) you must re-aim them with a proper aiming machine.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Osh

Rewards Points: 40

There's hardly a late model BMW made without these. Ambient lighting only, not for driving at night. No safety issues. http://www.hidefia.com/bmw-m5-dark/
Osh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh View Post
There's hardly a late model BMW made without these. Ambient lighting only, not for driving at night. No safety issues. http://www.hidefia.com/bmw-m5-dark/
The ones in the BMWs are built-in to the assemblies from the OEM. They are not cheap ebay garbage that are glued into the headlights.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

I personally think it's tacky to try and simulate something like this from a luxury car. But then again, I'm not 19 any more either.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh View Post
It's not that the rings themselves are illegal. They just have to be implimented properly. The rings in the BMWs are engineered just like the rest of the headlight and they meet DOT requirements. Those rings from ebay are just SMD5050s on a circular PCB that you stick in your headlight.

There may be more of a problem with modifying your headlights. You might cause a problem when you hack your headlights. Those head light assemblies are very expensive and they are precise equipment. You should not be sticking toys in them. Headlights are not for looks. They are safety devices. They allow you to see at night. If your headlights are messed up, you may either not be able to see well, or you may see better (or think you see better) while blinding other drivers and increasing your chances of causing an accident.

BTW, if you do get in an accident, and the insurance company/ies find that you have hacked your headlights, you'd be at fault and you may not be covered.

Of course, it's your car, so do what you want. But why not just leave them alone?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,088

Quote:
But I absolutely HATE how the lights in the ring appears to be dotted. I would like a very clean ring of light instead of a dotted ring.
Ayuh,.... Step back a couple a hundred feet, 'n ya won't see dots, but circles,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement