Light Fixture Separated From Ceiling Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 104

Light Fixture Separated from Ceiling Fan

These fixtures were here when we moved in and I have no idea how to fix this. I pulled the chain for the fan and the whole thing just flopped down and is now hanging by its wires. I see no screw holes or any such thing to keep this thing together like on some fan/light fixtures.

The top bit that comes down from the fan and from which the wires are hanging appears to be threaded. We attempted to push things back up and twist it on, but that just twists the wires and it undoes itself. Is there something inside that casing that needs to be shoved up or something? It's dark in here and I am short, so I can't get a good look. Diagrams would be great if anybody could direct me to some. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Anianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

I've been trying to find some answers myself. Apparently "the top bit that comes down from the fan" is the downrod and there should have been a "setscrew" to keep the light fixture bit attached to it. I can't see where the setscrew is or should be or how to get it back up on the downrod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,474

You're right, it looks like it's coming apart big time. Funny there are no set screws anywhere. As you said, it looks like there are threads on the downrod. Maybe there is no set screw and the casing just screws onto those threads. I would turn off power and disassemble/reassemble it, make sure that casing is tight on the downrod. See if that helps. Could be crossthreaded or threads are bad.

Nothing you did, probably years of pulling on the chain too hard and it finally gave out.

What is the brand of fan?

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.

Last edited by jmon; 06-05-2015 at 07:39 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

I have no idea what brand it is. I have been scouring the sites of brands I know to find anything similar to go on, but I haven't found this sort of fixture.

I think there is a bracket/metal frame attached to the light fixture that screws to the downrod and that center cover is pretty much just a cover, but I can't figure out how to get that metal frame in there up onto the rod without the wires twisting up.

I wish I could find the instructions for this fan so I could understand it better. I don't see any labels on it at all. Perhaps there is something identifying on top of the fan housing, but I can't even reach my camera up that high to see anything even standing on my inside step ladder. Tomorrow when I have more light, I can probably bring the outside ladder in and see if I can find any better info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anianna For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anianna View Post
I have no idea what brand it is. I have been scouring the sites of brands I know to find anything similar to go on, but I haven't found this sort of fixture.

I think there is a bracket/metal frame attached to the light fixture that screws to the downrod and that center cover is pretty much just a cover, but I can't figure out how to get that metal frame in there up onto the rod without the wires twisting up.

I wish I could find the instructions for this fan so I could understand it better. I don't see any labels on it at all. Perhaps there is something identifying on top of the fan housing, but I can't even reach my camera up that high to see anything even standing on my inside step ladder. Tomorrow when I have more light, I can probably bring the outside ladder in and see if I can find any better info.
The only thing I can suggest is turn off the power and totally disassemble/ reassemble it. It's pretty straight forward. See if that helps. I did a close up of the pic and it looks like the first 2 or 3 threads are stripped. They look shiny. You may still be able to tighten the casing onto the downrod.

The light fixture has to be removed so all those wires can go straight through the downrod and casing, then you can thread the casing back onto the downrod. Right now all those wires are in the way and you can't tighten the casing to the downrod properly. Just a suggestion.

Please get some help if you do this as the light fixture may be heavy.

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Anianna (06-08-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Looks like a really nice ceiling fan. I would definitely want to try to fix it.

Just be careful, it's not safe the way it is. In addition to the casing coming off the downrod, the bracket that holds the light fixture to the casing has also come loose so the light fixture is basically being supported by the wires and a very loose bracket at this point.

I don't know of any other way to fix it except to disassemble/reassemble it and hope to get that casing on tighter and tighten the light fixture bracket to casing. For some it's a diy project others may have to hire an electrician, and he will get you up and running in no time.

For safety I would shut off the power to the ceiling fan at the breaker so no can turn it on until the proper repairs can be made. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by jmon; 06-05-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Anianna (06-08-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

Thanks all. I'll see if I can figure out the disassembly in the daylight when I can see.

Yea, I won't mess with the wiring without shutting breaker off first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anianna For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #8

Sounds good. Let us know if you have any more questions. There are many excellent electricians on this forum that can give you good advice. Let us know how everything works out for you. Thanks.
Anianna (07-03-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

According to my husband, who is taller than I am and can see what he's doing up there better, the downrod is, indeed, stripped. Is it possible to replace the downrod without purchasing a new fan/light fixture? If so, what do I need to know before heading to the hardware store?

Also, he took pics of the top of the fan motor and we still can't find any labels up there to tell us what brand this thing is. Does the brand matter in purchasing a new downrod?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #10

Downrods are pretty standard and any big box store carry them. They come in a variety of lengths.

Take the old one with you and match it up or measure the current one that is there now. This will require taking down the fan to remove the downrod. If you can't match it up at the big box store, take it to a local lighting store, I'm sure they will find something that will work. Just a suggestion.

It's great that there are two of you, they can be kind of heavy.
Anianna (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 29

Is the fan still attached to the ceiling?
If so that is not the down rod. It looks as though light fixture has come off. The black part that the chain is coming out of is attached with a nut from the inside. You'll need to take off the brass part to put the nut back on ( if threads a good enough). The nut is probably still in there as the wire go through tube that the nut threads on to.
philmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philmy For This Useful Post:
Anianna (06-08-2015), jmon (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

Philmy is spot on. The downrod is above that. Hope you can get enough good threads to tighten it down.
Anianna (07-03-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmy View Post
Is the fan still attached to the ceiling?
If so that is not the down rod. It looks as though light fixture has come off. The black part that the chain is coming out of is attached with a nut from the inside. You'll need to take off the brass part to put the nut back on ( if threads a good enough). The nut is probably still in there as the wire go through tube that the nut threads on to.
The fan is still attached to the ceiling and the light fixture has separated from the fan. My husband says the threads the light fixture needs to attach to are stripped. From some of the diagrams of fans with light fixtures I have seen, I thought both the fan and the light fixture were attached to the downrod. Are you saying that a new downrod is not what we need to replace that?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,652

He could have had it down in less than 15 min's. It really needs to come down, before the light unit falls off and hits someone in the head.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Anianna (07-03-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anianna View Post
These fixtures were here when we moved in and I have no idea how to fix this. I pulled the chain for the fan and the whole thing just flopped down and is now hanging by its wires. I see no screw holes or any such thing to keep this thing together like on some fan/light fixtures.

The top bit that comes down from the fan and from which the wires are hanging appears to be threaded. We attempted to push things back up and twist it on, but that just twists the wires and it undoes itself. Is there something inside that casing that needs to be shoved up or something? It's dark in here and I am short, so I can't get a good look. Diagrams would be great if anybody could direct me to some. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You have 2 problems; The first is the light kit bracket is very loose. That may just need to tightened. Easy fix.

The second and more important problem is the main switch housing has come off the threaded shaft coming from the motor. That is what needs to be secured to the threads which have been stripped. May or may not work.

As mentioned, you can turn off the power, disassemble it and try to fix it yourself, call an electrician, or buy a new one. I don't know if that threaded shaft coming down from the motor can be replaced or not, maybe someone else on this forum knows. It would depend on the brand.

For now, in the interest of safety, turn off power and take in down before it falls down.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help to you. Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.
Anianna (07-03-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
assembly , ceiling fan , light fixture