Light Fixture Help!!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

light fixture help!!!

Hi Gurus,
Quick question I have just had my house resided and they installed these mounting blocks on my house they are just square and I have the tree wires one ground all coming out. Now the fixture instructions say connect it using the mounting block with these metal things (sorry dont know the technical name it has a green screw in it) I dont have that type of box. My box is found below its letterally just a plastic square. Do I juts connect the wires using wire nuts and mount the fixture to the box with screws? Sorry in advance im not technical just an accountant trying to install some light fixtures. heres a link to the boxes i have installed. BTW I already zapped myself lol... so now the breakers off!!!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...07&marketID=39
workingonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #2

sorry if I was bit unclear. As to the ground wire as well I am wondering do I just connect that to the one coming out of the wall? I have it all connected and the light works I just want to make sure before I button it up im not missing anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

It may help to describe the colors of the wire from the house. I think I am pretty confident, however, that if you connect the green wire from your fixture to the bare copper wire from the house with with wire nuts you should be good. Black from the house is hot. White is neutral. There are probably a black and and white wire from your fixture. Black-to-black. White-to-white.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If you don't have a metal box then you don't have to worry about grounding the box. Just go color for color and hang the light. Usually you will have a green ground scew on the fixture bar if you have one but if you don't then you don't need to worry about it.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #5

Thanks 4 your help guys! I'm allhooked up and they're working!!!! Look sharp lil zap wasn't fun but I'm alive!!! Haha. There was no metal box just white black and copper (ground) matched cables mounted fixture through the box to sheathing .........as always thanks a millie!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Hate to be the one to tell you but an electrical junction box should have been installed thru that siding block. Electrical splices are required to be in junction boxes. What you have installed is not an electrical junction box.
Advertisement