Light Is Always On - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Light Is Always On

Hello,

I recently changed my light fixtures and in one instance I have a problem.

The switch used to work and used to turn the light on and off. Now, after I installed a new light fixture, the light stays always on, no matter what I do with the switch.

I probably got some of the wiring wrong, but I can not figure out what.

I wired the black wires from the fixture with the black wires from the ceiling; I wired the white wires from the fixture with the white wires from the ceiling; and I wired the ground wire from the fixture to a red wire from the ceiling (I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that.)

Can anyone tell why my light is always on -- and how to fix this?

Thank you,
Alex K.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

No, that was definitely wrong - and the frame/case/body of your light fixture is now electrically live (and a shock hazard) whenever the switch is in the 'ON' position. If you get an assistant to climb up there and hold onto the light, you will see that HE lights up when you turn the switch on...

Take the light back down, unhook that "ground" catastrophe you've created, and hook the BLACK wire that goes to the fixture to the RED wire. Leave the whites all together.

Put differently: Connect all white wires together and tuck them back in the box. All of the black wires that are part of the ceiling (but NOT the one attached to the fixture), connect those all to each other and tuck them back up there also. Now connect the remaining fixture wire (black) to the red one sticking out of the ceiling.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

take some pictures so we can see the setup
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

It is possible that this has a three-way switch, with one being a switch leg. That means that the white from one of the switches, is actually a Black. Or, it is just a Single pole circuit, which the Red is the black to the fixture, the blacks are tied, due to a outlet is fed from the JB that the light is on. I had to do one of my fixtures in my kitchen that way that is over my sink. It feeds off of the switch with 14/3 from the switch on the wall to the light in the middle of the kitchen (small kitchen), so that 14/2 can feed the light over the sink, with a Switch leg on the wall. Same way will be done for the light over the Breakfast bar. Saves wire.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,996

emolator has the proper solution. Hook the fixture black to the red wire instead of the black group. The ground goes tot he other bare wires or the green wire or the metal box.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you all for the prompt answers. Much appreciated!

I tried emulator's solution, as I understood it:
That is
--1. ALL the white wires (from fixture AND from ceiling) are connected together
--2. The black wires are connected in two separate groups; one group, with the wires from the fixture, is also connected to the red wire from the ceiling; the second group of black wires (from the ceiling) is connected only with itself.

However, in this case the light does not go on at all, no matter what I do with the switch.

I can check again to see if I really did the wiring as above, but beyond that I do not know what to do.

Thank you for your patience,
Alex K.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #7

Go look at the switch that turns on and off this light, and post what colors are hooked up to it. When doing something like this, you should always write down what wires hook up where, so that you do not run into the problem such as you are having.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Joy. You've got something unusual there then, and it's going to take more effort to figure out what. Go ahead and see if there's a red wire behind the switch...
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I will suggest that you take a look at the switch connecton and see what hook up there if you have red conductor that useally for the light however if you have three way switch then the bet is off you have to dig in more deeper.

If the connetions is correct then the switch probly got fried or just broken before you do anything make sure you turn that circuit off before you dig in the switch box.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #10

I ignored the 3-way theory the first time and continue to resist it for one reason...

*ONE* 3-WAY SWITCH? Where's the OTHER one? Why is there only ONE three-conductor cable up there?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emolatur
I ignored the 3-way theory the first time and continue to resist it for one reason...

*ONE* 3-WAY SWITCH? Where's the OTHER one? Why is there only ONE three-conductor cable up there?
Feeding another light or outlet.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,996

Why are there two groups of black wires? You are making this too complicated. Ignore all the info about 3 ways. It is not relevant to your situation.
Connect all the whites together.
Connect all the blacks except the fixture black together.
Connect the fixture black to the red wire.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement