Is This A Legal Spot For A J Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,120

Is this a legal spot for a J box?

Hi;
I am running a new branch to the upstairs. I have already run and connected one receptacle in the hall. I need to continue the run through the attic and down to a couple more receptacles on the 2nd floor.

I would like to use a J box in the attic instead of running through each receptacle, since the latter would require significantly more cable, and larger / more holes in the headers for two instead of one cable to each receptacle.

I believe code requires that the j-box be mounted only to a supporting stud/joist and must be completely accessible.

There is a cedar closet in the attic, and I would like to mount the box to one of its studs because it is at a convenient point in the wiring run. Otherwise I would have to mount the box on the roof rafter, which would negate any cable savings.

While I know that some of you are going to criticize for wanting to save a little cable, but I am also thinking about the convenience of having only one set of #12 wires in the smaller outlet box compared to two sets if I make the run without the j-box.

I am concerned about the stud I want to mount the j-box to. It is secured to the floor of the attic, but probably not to the ceiling/floor joist, and is most definitely not secured to the roof rafter.
This closet was installed probably by the previous owner of the house (which is 80+ years old).
So, if the stud is not supported properly, does this preclude my being allowed to install the j-box onto it?

Here are a couple of photos of the situation:

The first photo is showing how the closet's stud is nailed to the floor.
The second one is shot up towards the roof. The closet stud is shown clearly not making contact with the roof rafter.

Note: The stud running up on the right is the closet stud. The other one is the roof rafter.
It looks that the only support for the closet stud is the closet itself, and the attic floor.

Thanks for your advice

FW

Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

You can attach the junction box to the stud that is attached to the wall and not swaying and swinging free. THe stud doesn't have to reach the ceiling or rafters.

You can attach a few L brackets to the stud to hold it on the wall if needed.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

As long as it is sturdy & doesn't wobble it should be fine

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,120

Thanks guys;
The stud is solid, as it stands.

FW