Hi, I'm new to the forum. Have been researching for months how to install LED strip lights on top of beams in my attic conversion, as well as in the adjacent crawlspace, but haven't been able to figure out what I need as far as components. I could really use some help figuring out how to achieve what I have in mind.
Ideally, I would like:
in the main room...
- RGBWW strips on top of the 5 beams which are each 5' long, and 4' apart (parallel to each other)...so 25' of RGBWW light strips total. I was considering these strips from Amazon (forum won't allow me to post the link)
Alarmpore 16.4FT Double Row 5050 RGBWW RGB Warm White LED Strip 5M 600Leds SMD Flexible Light 120Leds/M 12V DC Non-waterproof
- A wall mounted, direct wired, touch screen controller with ability to control RGB, and also select (dimmable) Warm White
- Power supply will be mounted in the adjacent, unfinished attic space (other side of the wall from where the controller will be
Questions I have:
- Not sure what size power supply I need (and what brands are recommended/reliable)
- Should I wire each 5' strip back to the power supply, or can they be daisy chained? Concerned about voltage drop and want to make sure all the strips are equally bright.
- I assumed I would use 12V, but not sure if 24V would be better suited?
In the Adjacent crawlspace...
I plan to put 13' of Warm White in an extrusion along the peak of the angled ceiling...and 3 1' strips of Warm White in each of 3 cubbies along the lower knee wall.
- Ideally this would use a Lutron (or similar) dimmer switch, mounted inside the crawlspace. Again, trying to avoid wireless.
- I think, the power supply would need to be in the unfinished room along with the other power supply. I have power close to where the controller will be, but nowhere to put the transformer except buried inside a wall, which I believe isn't permitted. The unfinished room is about a 10' wire run from the crawlspace.
For both spaces, the drywall has not been put up yet, so I can run as much wiring as I need.
I would be very grateful for any input/advice. I've been chasing my tail on this too long, and it will be blocking on the room renovations soon.