Large Electrical Upgrade - Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Large electrical upgrade - help

We have a project which we are putting together which involves installing up to 500 of these lights:

Gavita Holland pro 1000DE 1000W fixture
  • Input Voltage: 240 Volt +/- 10%
  • Input Current 1: 4.42A at 240V
  • Input Power 1: 1060 Watt
  • Input Current 2: 5.06A at 240V
  • Input Power 2: 1220 Watt
  • Power Factor: > 0.98
  • Input Frequency: 50-60 Hz
  • Output Connection: IEC C14 (remote)
  • Case Temp. (C): 20 - 50C
  • Certification: UL
  • Light Source: 1000W 400V electronic double ended lamp
  • Luminous Flux: 138.000 Lumens (indicative)
I am guessing we'll run the lights at 240V to reduce the amount of amps required.

The space is 17,000 sq/ft and currently has electrical services of 600V/400A

given the heating and cooling requirements we will probably need to factor 1.6x the actual rated electrical draw for the premises and 500 lights, we're going to be drawing alot of juice.

I've tried searching online for information on what I would need to upgrade the building but there's not much out there. I know nothing about electrical loads and upgrades.

From what I gather we'll need to install some kind of transformer to draw more from the electrical company, and then a bunch of panels to manage the circuits and lighting. Then of course the internal wiring but I'm more concerned about the physical power equipment to supply the necessary power.

I'm wondering what kind of equipment would be required, and what kind of ballpark budget I'm going to need for the retrofit.

If anyone can provide some insight or knowledge in to what we need or are looking at with some examples, that would be very helpful.

thanks !
miraghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 808

Your project is so far removed from the DIY realm it isn't even funny.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IslandGuy For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (07-14-2014), gregzoll (07-12-2014), jbfan (07-12-2014), mpoulton (07-14-2014), mudila (07-12-2014), Oso954 (07-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

For a typical marijuana grow operation, the operator hires a licensed electrical firm to plan, install and test the electrical equipment. Asking for advice on such an advanced operation from a DIY forum geared to home repairs is somewhat misplaced.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
dmclean701 (07-12-2014), gregzoll (07-12-2014), mpoulton (07-14-2014), Msradell (07-13-2014), mudila (07-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 136

Must be good stuff...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Hmmm...
I was just thinking of heading out to Walmart or Costco and grabbing 2500 amp box and I could just run power bars and extension chords off it to run the lights. I heard those monster power bars are good quality.... would that do it ?

Of course we're hiring a contract commercial electrician ! We have one and I've sent inquiries out to two others.

As I said I'm completely ignorant on power and before I sit down with them, I could just use a little help as to what type of equipment and requirements would be needed for this kind of upgrade. I just want to know what to expect.

I'm a regular Joe, with no electrical knowledge just trying to get a few scraps of information so I don't get taken for a ride and at least have a clue what I'm looking at and what the options are for when I sit down with these guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to miraghoul For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 912

If you have a a 600V service I assume you are in Canada. Also if it is 600V your electrician should be installing 347V lighting.

You admit you know nothing about electrical so meet with your electrician and he will explain to you what needs to happen.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraghoul View Post
We have a project which we are putting together which involves installing up to 500 of these lights:

Gavita Holland pro 1000DE 1000W fixture
  • Input Voltage: 240 Volt +/- 10%
  • Input Current 1: 4.42A at 240V
  • Input Power 1: 1060 Watt
  • Input Current 2: 5.06A at 240V
  • Input Power 2: 1220 Watt
  • Power Factor: > 0.98
  • Input Frequency: 50-60 Hz
  • Output Connection: IEC C14 (remote)
  • Case Temp. (C): 20 - 50C
  • Certification: UL
  • Light Source: 1000W 400V electronic double ended lamp
  • Luminous Flux: 138.000 Lumens (indicative)
I am guessing we'll run the lights at 240V to reduce the amount of amps required.

The space is 17,000 sq/ft and currently has electrical services of 600V/400A

given the heating and cooling requirements we will probably need to factor 1.6x the actual rated electrical draw for the premises and 500 lights, we're going to be drawing alot of juice.

I've tried searching online for information on what I would need to upgrade the building but there's not much out there. I know nothing about electrical loads and upgrades.

From what I gather we'll need to install some kind of transformer to draw more from the electrical company, and then a bunch of panels to manage the circuits and lighting. Then of course the internal wiring but I'm more concerned about the physical power equipment to supply the necessary power.

I'm wondering what kind of equipment would be required, and what kind of ballpark budget I'm going to need for the retrofit.

If anyone can provide some insight or knowledge in to what we need or are looking at with some examples, that would be very helpful.

thanks !

You cant use transformers to draw more power from the power company. If you need more power from a 400amp service you will need a larger service. Otherwise you will burn up the service and a lot of people wont be to happy about that.

Who will be doing the actual work, this sounds like a whole production facility rewire?
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Unfortunately the lighting we want to use comes in 240V.
We are looking in to a 400-480V version of the ballast from Europe but I haven't received any specs or info on it yet.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Hmmm...
I was just thinking of heading out to Walmart or Costco and grabbing 2500 amp box and I could just run power bars and extension chords off it to run the lights. I heard those monster power bars are good quality.... would that do it ?

Of course we're hiring a contract commercial electrician ! We have one and I've sent inquiries out to two others.

As I said I'm completely ignorant on power and before I sit down with them, I could just use a little help as to what type of equipment and requirements would be needed for this kind of upgrade. I just want to know what to expect.

I'm a regular Joe, with no electrical knowledge just trying to get a few scraps of information so I don't get taken for a ride and at least have a clue what I'm looking at and what the options are for when I sit down with these guys.
Ok, I freaked for a moment when I read no electrical knowledge then how to do this Sorry

Anyway, this will at least cost 15k to 20k, assuming only the service is present. Are the lights the only loads? Will there be any air conditioning, machines or other power pulling equipment?
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

Power company already stated they will upgrade the power service but we have to buy / pay for the equipment.
Maybe I'm not saying it right (excuse my ignorance) but what I'm asking is what type of equipment do we need to provide / install for the power company to upgrade the service (IE run the lines for the extra power)

I'm trying to get an idea of costs for budgeting
Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Unfortunately the lighting we want to use comes in 240V.
We are looking in to a 400-480V version of the ballast from Europe but I haven't received any specs or info on it yet.

If you have a 600 volt "wye" service you can choose 347 volt ballasts. You can also use 600 volt ballasts if you can find them. 240 volts is doable, but you will need large expensive transformer(s) to step the voltage down from 600 volts to 240 volts. In addition to that 240 volt ballasts will need more circuits since you have more amps at 240 volts then 347 or 600. So both wire and transformers will add cost.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Hey Jump-start.
The lights will need to be cooled and each gives off approximately 4000btu. So there is a fair bit of cooling involved and this has been calculated in to the overall equation.

Ultimately we are calculated to be running the facility at around 4-500 Kw/h.
We factor in an industry standard of 1.60 the required capacity to account for spiking, and cooling, and any other electrical systems (fans, etc...)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Power company already stated they will upgrade the power service but we have to buy / pay for the equipment.
Maybe I'm not saying it right (excuse my ignorance) but what I'm asking is what type of equipment do we need to provide / install for the power company to upgrade the service (IE run the lines for the extra power)

I'm trying to get an idea of costs for budgeting

Ok, perfect, your on the right track. Dont sweat it, I just thought you were going to attempt it yourself, but your not. I apologize for the knee jerk response

The electrician will do whats called a "load calc" or "service demanded calc", this will add up all the power that will be using in the building and come up with the right electrical service.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #14

Any Idea of how much of a service upgrade would be needed to support that kind of draw from the pole ? I know we're going to be putting in a bunch of panels, etc... but I'm curious as to what the power company will have to provide to the overall building to support what we're putting in.

At 240V each light draws around 5A of
Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey Jump-start.
The lights will need to be cooled and each gives off approximately 4000btu. So there is a fair bit of cooling involved and this has been calculated in to the overall equation.

Ultimately we are calculated to be running the facility at around 4-500 Kw/h.
We factor in an industry standard of 1.60 the required capacity to account for spiking, and cooling, and any other electrical systems (fans, etc...)

Ok thats good. Any AC units or just a ventilation system? AC will need a lot of power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement