Landscape Lighting Transformer Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Landscape Lighting Transformer question

Hello,
I have a HADCO 30600 (600 watt) landscape lighting transformer for my front yard landscape lights. There are 4 low voltage lines that connect to this transformer for all of my lights, which are spliced to these lines. Recently, my outdoor lights stopped lighting up. I unplugged the timer and a photo cell from the transformer to see if the lights would come on without the timer or photocell to see if the transformer itself is bad. Lights still won't come on. If I have the transformer plugged in to a known good receptacle (without the timer and photocell connected) is that a good way to know if the transformer is bad? Trying to narrow down if that is bad or something else. Thanks.
wspev2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,428

Measure the output of the transformer with a volt meter to see if the transformer works. If you have power, then there is a problem with your LV wiring. If you don't, then either the transformer, or the power supply to the transformer, is not working.

Rather than put an extension cord to plug in the transformer in a different outlet to test it, you can plug in an outlet tester or some night light into the outlet that the transformer plugs into to see if it works. If it does, you have a problem in the transformer.
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,316

Sounds like your tranny is faulty !
Do you have a volt meter ?
There could be an internal fuse/cut out
that has failed or a loose wire.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

@ poiihy. When I wrote that the receptacle is known to be good I was meaning that I tested the receptacle with a plug in tester, which shows the receptacle has power. There is another receptacle area inside the transformer that shows it is receiving power as well from my tester. However, I haven't taken my multi-meter to see how much voltage the transformer is giving yet. I should probably do that. There are 4 low voltage cable wires connecting to the transformer, so if the transformer is working shouldn't at least one of the wired lines work? I'm finding it hard to believe all of my 4 lines could be bad.

@dmxtothemax . What is a tranny? You could be right about the fuse thing. I could see that possibly being the problem. What should I test with my multi meter to see if it a fuse isssue...volts or ohms? Also, there are 4 low voltage cable wires connected to the transformer. Is it really likely that all 4 lines would be loose or cut? Seems like one string of lights should at least light up.
wspev2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,316

"Tranny" is short for "transformer".
Is your transformer a electronic type ?
Or is it the conventual iron cored type ?
When I spoke of a loose wire,
I was thinking of something loose or burnt
inside the transformer boxs
With high currents it doesnt take much
to burn out a connection/splice.
Have you opened the box up to
examine it for any obvious signs of distress.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
There could be an internal fuse
That transformer should have 2 20A breakers either inside where the wires connect or on the bottom. That is what I would check first.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement