Bought a new Kohler 12RESL from Lowes. Display unit that sat on shelf forever. Missing the factory wiring harness that ties into transfer switch. No problem, probably wouldn't have used it anyway.
Bit confused however as to the wiring. I'm assuming that the carriers (black and red) run from the factory installed breaker built into the control panel. The breaker is labeled "A/C" overload but I'm thinking that's just an indication that if the gen set is overloaded, it is most likely because of an A/C startup surge and this is the most likely the fix ... that being to reset the breaker.
If above is correct, I understand I can either wire the neutral to the white wire lugged to the control housing just behind the control panel or, alternatively, remove the factory white and wire it and the neutral running to the house together, the generator will work either way.
Finally, there is a label stating "ground" on the controller housing but no place to mount a ground wire ... seems strange these days to have to drill a hole to mount a ground wire.