Irrigation Pump Lockout - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Irrigation Pump Lockout

I have an irrigation pump and I would like to add a high pressure shutdown switch into the control logic for this pump. I found a simple pressure switch that will interupt the circuit on high pressure (such as a valve failing to open) but I am afraid that if the pressure were to bleed or leak down that the pump would start again starting an endless series of starts and stops. So what I believe that I am looking for is a 24 vac relay that requires a manual reset on activation, would that be a dual coil latching relay? If not could someone make a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 308

Do you have a contactor or relay that starts the pump motor? Or does the pressure switch do it all? What initiates the starting? Do you have a "start" switch or an "on" switch?
Give us a bit more info on the circuit itself. We can make this pump do anything we want. But we do not want to reinvent the wheel.
If you have a drawing of the circuit you may be able to take a close up picture and post it. I am certain we can get it figured out in short order.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Do you have a contactor or relay that starts the pump motor? Or does the pressure switch do it all? What initiates the starting? Do you have a "start" switch or an "on" switch?
Give us a bit more info on the circuit itself. We can make this pump do anything we want. But we do not want to reinvent the wheel.
If you have a drawing of the circuit you may be able to take a close up picture and post it. I am certain we can get it figured out in short order.
The control circuit is as follows: 24 volt timer/clock -> starting relay with a 24 volt coil that starts the 240 volt pump motor.

In the 24 volt circuit I would like to add a high pressure switch that would open the 24 volt circuit from the timer/clock. I know that I could add a general purpose relay controlled by the pressure switch but when the pressure came back down the relay would reset and the pump motor would start again. I am looking for a relay with a manual reset that would not automatically reset when the pressure dropped back down, this way I would know that there is or was a problem. So it would be like this.

24 volt timer/clock -> pressure switch -> relay with manual reset -> starting relay.

I think that a dual coil latching relay may be what I need but I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #4

See if this drawing is of any help. It looks good to me. You will need a standard relay and a NO momentary reset push button.
Take a look at what I have and see if you can incorporate it into your application. It's the best I can do for you, unless you can provide me a model number and manufacturer for the control system you have.
Here is a latching relay you might find easier to use. It will hold its position after HPS shut down.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ys/755-2CD-24D
Attached Thumbnails
Irrigation Pump Lockout-scheme.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
See if this drawing is of any help. It looks good to me. You will need a standard relay and a NO momentary reset push button.
Take a look at what I have and see if you can incorporate it into your application. It's the best I can do for you, unless you can provide me a model number and manufacturer for the control system you have.
Here is a latching relay you might find easier to use. It will hold its position after HPS shut down.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ys/755-2CD-24D
I think thats right, the relay needs to hold the position after the high pressure event. I will need to track down the same relay only 24 vac.

Thank you very much for your help
Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

Sorry I did not notice it was 24 volt DC. Check the home page and search or go to www.automationdirect.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement