Installing A Dimmer For A Ceiling Fan ?'s - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Installing a dimmer for a ceiling fan ?'s

I feel kind of stupid asking this...

Working on the nursery for my twin boys that will be born in a couple months.

I'm not planning on changing the ceiling fan or the light kit on the ceiling fan if I can get away with it. However, I'd like to be able to dim the lights so we can get around in there with less chance of waking them up.

I've seen fan dimmers but that's one electrical device I've never installed. I can't honestly say that I know how they work...Dimming the lights without affecting the function of the fan seems like something I'd need additional wiring for, and that isn't happening!!!

What are my options for dimming the light and still being able to use the fan? Pretty limited I imagine.....
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you only have one circuit going from the switch to the fan (black and white wire) your only option that doesn't require running wire is a remote control module installed in the fan canopy. They are a pain in the ass to cram in there but they do work.

If you have a switch loop installation you could do a little rewire in the fan jbox, dim only the light and turn the fan on/off with the pull chain.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

KC.,

Not really limited all it depending on how the switch is hooked up and the power source is at.

If you have two gang switch box then it pretty good chance you may have extra unused conductor that will be seperated from fan et light.

If not I know there is few aftermarket that have remote kit as well.

Both in like tv remote controller pod or on the wall switch verison.

You can take the switch cover off and see if you have red conductor in there if not let us know right away we may have a idea how to do this in safe manner.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
We pick these?

Rewards Points: 75

I got lucky that I inadvertently used 3-wire cabling to supply my fans from the last 3-way switch locations. The remotes run about $30-$40 bucks for the dimmer models at the orange box or the other guys. I've used one before that came with a Hunter fan I put in at my mom's house. It worked well and impressed the heck out of her... I put a dimmer on some cans in my soon-to-be-delivered daughters nursery(currently our master bdrm. sitting area) but I'm thinking about just putting dimmers on all the ceiling fixtures in our place.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #5

Hmmmm. I never thought of the remote controle module idea! I'll definitely be taking that route, or at least considering it my best option. The circuit wiring is as basic as it gets, which probably works against me in this case.

Thank you all!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,030

If you cannot fit a remote control unit in the fan housing you can use a fan speed control to dim the light. With just one hot wire going from the wall switch to the light and fan unit, the speed control will also control the fan although you would use the pull chain on the fan unit to select light or fan or both.

The speed control must be compatible both with the fan and with the light although it will work with all regular voltage incandescents.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-14-2009 at 07:37 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Here is a site with some remote stuff for fans don't see any price but i would go to HD or Lowes they have them there without buying the fan and price is prob better . http://www.efanparts.com/remote_cont...ling_fans.html
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Hmmmm. I never thought of the remote controle module idea! I'll definitely be taking that route, or at least considering it my best option. The circuit wiring is as basic as it gets, which probably works against me in this case.

Thank you all!
This by far your best bet. The remote will turn the fan and light on and off. It will also dim the light and control the speed of the fan.
As said above the receiver can be a pain to get into the canopy of the fan, if you can get it in at all. Just depends on the size of the canopy.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
This by far your best bet. The remote will turn the fan and light on and off. It will also dim the light and control the speed of the fan.
As said above the receiver can be a pain to get into the canopy of the fan, if you can get it in at all. Just depends on the size of the canopy.
GO DOLPHINS looked good monday night
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #10

Thanks 300zx. They did look good. I don't know if I was more happy that they won or that the Jets lost. Appreciate the new avatar. I will put it up right now.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #11

Nathan, "You may not upload animated images". Why not? I want to use the new avatar 300zx gave me.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Nathan, "You may not upload animated images". Why not? I want to use the new avatar 300zx gave me.
All the other sites let you don't know why they wont here Electrician talk you can and alot of others I say let us here would be nice please!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
All the other sites let you don't know why they wont here Electrician talk you can and alot of others I say let us here would be nice please!!!!
Yes, 300zx. I used it on Electricians Talk forum. It is proudly displayed. Check it out. Thanks again.......John
Advertisement