Installing Ceiling Fan In Old House - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing ceiling fan in old house

I am replacing an existing celling fan in my old house. Unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention when I was taking the old one down and now I can't seem to wire it back correctly. Here is what I have: In the ceiling there are 3 sets of wires coming out. Two sets of white/black/ground and one that is white/black/red. It is controlled by a double switch in the wall. On the top right of the switch is a red wire, on the bottom right is a black, and on the bottom left is a white. There is nothing on the top left. When i turn my breaker on, one of the sets of white/black/ground has power. How do I connect them?
wgoode77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoode77 View Post
I am replacing an existing celling fan in my old house. Unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention when I was taking the old one down and now I can't seem to wire it back correctly. Here is what I have: In the ceiling there are 3 sets of wires coming out. Two sets of white/black/ground and one that is white/black/red. It is controlled by a double switch in the wall. On the top right of the switch is a red wire, on the bottom right is a black, and on the bottom left is a white. There is nothing on the top left. When i turn my breaker on, one of the sets of white/black/ground has power. How do I connect them?
1. are the White/black/red wires going from the ceiling junction box to the switch junction box?

2. Is this a fan/light combo (one switch for fan, the other switch for light)?
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Good. You have identified the supply wire.

My guess it that your ceiling box wires are as follows:

wire 1: white/black/ground - supply power
wire 2: white/black/ground - contines to another box somewhere, supplying power
wire 3: red/white/black/ground - goes to the wall switch.

If this can be confirmed, here is how I would proceed:

1. tie black from wire 1 supply to black of wire 2 and white of wire 3. Put black tape on white wire to indicate this is no longer a neutral.

2. Tie white wire from wire 1 to white of wire 2 and white of fan fixture. (DO NOT tie to white of wire 3!)

3. Your fan fixture has, I expect, four wires. One is white (now connected to other wires). One is probably black. One is another color (red? blue?). The fourth is bare copper braided. Correct? Connect the black to the black of wire 3. Connect the blue/red to the red of wire 3.

4. Connect all grounds together.

Hopefully, this will work for you.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement