Installing A Bahroom Fan With Light Wiring Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing a Bahroom Fan with Light wiring Help

My bathroom has mold, and I found out the fan we currently have does not ventilate well enough for the size of room. Right now I have 2 separete receptacles one for a fan in the ceiling and one for the light in the wall. I was wondering in order to convert into one receptacle and cover a hole before starting the paint job if this would be done by the following.

Do you just reroute the wire from the light in the wall and pigtail the hot wire from the light to the hot wire from the fan then connect to the receptacle then disconnect the old fan wires and connect to the new fan that has the light and fan in an all in one deal?

What I was wanting is when you hit the switch the fan and light come on at the one receptacle. Would this be correct or is there more to it?
bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 308

You have two receptacles in the ceiling? How is that? This question has a very simple answer, but we need a simple question to help you. Please try to explain yourself again.

A receptacle is what you plug things into. Lights and fans mounted in ceilings and walls rarely are plugged into a receptacle.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,800

Psst! Many bathroom fan units including those with lights have the fan motor connected to a plug, and a receptacle in the unit housing hidden by the cover/grille plate.

If you are decommissioning the light in/on the wall and/or stringing wires to continue on from there, then that location must still have a removable cover over an outlet box with the wire ends inside.

You would not pigtail the switched power lead to the light with the switched power lead to the fan. You would use one or the other when the light and fan will always come on together.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-23-2009 at 12:40 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You have two receptacles in the ceiling? How is that? This question has a very simple answer, but we need a simple question to help you. Please try to explain yourself again.

A receptacle is what you plug things into. Lights and fans mounted in ceilings and walls rarely are plugged into a receptacle.

They were switches LOL Sorry. I think I have it. I just wanted some insight first before I try to tackle.

My first thought was, since there is one single pole switch for my current fan and a separate single pole for my light on the wall away from the fan.

I would have to take the wire from the light and connect it. After thinking about it will the the new light and fan combo run off the same hot wire that is connect to the old fan now. If this is the case for saftey what would I do with the wire that would be left behind after removing the existing light on the wall.

I planned on one light and fan in the center of the room and patch the hole left after removing the light off the wall and the other switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To keep this simple I guess the new light and fan combo would be installed and connected to what is up there and just remove the light off the wall and cover the light switch is this correct. Or since there is a fan and a light would another wire need to be ran? Thanks
bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,800

So long as the switch controls both light and fan (together) no extra wires need to be strung. No wiring changes would be made at the switch.

For the old light location and its old switch location, put a wire nut over each loose single wire end (you may need tape to hold it on), curl the wires back into the box, and cover the box. The cover has to remain visible.

For each cable that is too old and brittle to be re-used, and you know for sure you have both ends of the cable visible and unconnected, you can cut off the wire ends flush with the cable jacket or armor. Preferably you should put a label on each of these cable ends saying that the cables are decommissioned. (Better if you can, remove the cable or wires but without tremendous yanking.)For each hole where no single wire ends remain you can finish over that hole with no visible cover.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-24-2009 at 07:19 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Your new unit is probably a fan/light combo which actually only need to one feed to it as YES both the fan and light will work when the one switch is activated. My ? to you is: IF the light is on the wall, and you DO NOT have to do anything with those existing wires--why remove the light at all? IMO--more light in the bath area the better. Merry Christmas, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement