If You Were To Pull Fiber, What Fiber Would It Be? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

if you were to pull fiber, what fiber would it be?

with all the choices out there of fiber I'm having a hard time figuring out what is most likely to be the one for home use, I've used them time and again at work but is there one that is becoming the standard for home use that I should consider pulling? I'm pulling a lot of other stuff, so while I have the wall open I figure I should run some fiber along the backbone route at least.

thanks.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

The standard used to be 62.5 micron multimode fiber (orange jacket) but recently 50 micron laser optimized multimode fiber (aqua jacket) is the recognized standard.
Google 50 micron fiber and you will find info on it.
You may even want to measure what you need and get it pre-terminited with SC or LC connectors . LC is probably the better choice but SC or even ST connectors will work because you can get patchcords that have the type of ends your equipment needs on it.
ttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #3

awesome, thank you for letting me know, I'll measure the run and pull some pre-terminated stuff first so that way it's there for future use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Do work

Rewards Points: 81

what are you going to use the fiber for in a home?
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 596

This is super geeky. How about multiple 1080p uncompressed video feeds over 10 GB?
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,010

Why not just put in some conduit. Then WHEN you need the fiber you can pull the one that is needed. By the time you actually want it the specs could have changed.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Fiber really sucks for end-user devices.

We had some servers that weren't rackmounted that had fiber NICs and we were constantly replacing patch cables. They get stepped on, rolled over, etc.

I knew a guy who had fiber in his dorms and it was the same story there, constant failures.

Fiber is fine for 100% fixed installations, but it's really not well suited for anything else.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Do work

Rewards Points: 81

I just dont see the need for it in the home. Doesn't make sense. If you worried about being future proof, then install a pull sting.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I'm for the conduit option. Since the walls are open and conduit is relatively cheap if you think you might ever get a "smart meter" consider including conduit runs to kitchen, mech room, and anywhere else with large electric draws.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #10

so I am running 2 separate 1" inch conduits between the 2 locations (well, there is actual conduit being run from the basement to the 2nd floor, after that it's pull strings and holes lined up since the walls are open)

the problem is that with all the wires I'm pulling for security systems, 2 cat6's for networking, audio wire, coax, and phone so far I might fill one entirely and fill a decent part of the second. And, if I'm going to run fiber, I'd rather run it when the conduits are empty since I'd like to pull it pre-terminated.

I understand that fiber has a long way to go before it's likely to be used in consumer applications, but we do already have optical audio cables and I'll live in the house for 40 years, so I'm better off just pulling some now and buying the correct adapters for future use, even if it's only to take advantage of the bandwidth between 2 distribution points for a TCP/IP network if everything starts running over ethernet/ TCP/IP networks.

If I can, why not? the cable isn't super expensive and I've had good experience with fiber so far.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,010

The wires you are pulling now don't need to be in conduit. Save them for later use.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The wires you are pulling now don't need to be in conduit. Save them for later use.
I'm confused by this comment, why would I save them for later use and not wire a backbone between the two main distribution points?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
I'm confused by this comment, why would I save them for later use and not wire a backbone between the two main distribution points?
He means pull new wiring through the framing now and save the empty conduit for runs you need after everything is closed up.

I also vote that fiber is a silly idea in a home. Future proof all you want, I HIGHLY doubt you'll EVER use that fiber you pull now.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

Personally I would only use fiber between buildings, or major points. Like if you have a garage I'd run a fiber there, or if the way the house is laid out makes it hard to run all the way to the patch panel from part of the house, I'd have another wiring closet in that area and run fiber to there. Have one wiring closet act as the core and all others leading there.

But one single core closet and copper throughout is easier. Fiber is very flimsy to work with, and you need very specialized equipment to splice it. I would use fiber only for local installs, like if you have a SAN or something.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #15

Where the conduit is I can only get 2 cuts in and so I have to run through the conduit, and thats the run from the basement to the attic. I'm running conduit there to make fire code compliance easier.

I'm just running a lot since I think it's easier to pull a big bulk at once and fill it in one shot then fill the conduit half way and try to do ones and two's here and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement