I Have No Idea What To Look For - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

the other day all of a sudden the main majority of the power to the house has quite working-- have tried to and did change all the fuses in the box including the 2 main -- tried to check the box to see if it was live or not but at this point i am lost

i need help the other day the power to all of the house but 2 rooms has quite working i dont know if its the box the wires or what have tried the fuses to be sure of that but now i am stuck ---- PLEASE HELP
mark0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hi,
There isn't much for us to go on but from your description you mention fuses so is this an older house?
In a way is sounds like you have lost power to one bus bar. Do you have a volt meter to measure AC voltage?
To help us understand your system, do you have three wires coming in from the meter to the main panel?
Is all the wiring in one panel or are there sub panels.
How about a picture?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,658

Do you have a test light or any kind of electrical tester? This would help to determine of the problem is inside or outside your house.

Have you had any high wind events? Are any of your neighbors having issues like yours?
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

Did you recently plug anything into any outlets? Start banging on outlets and see if the power comes back on to those rooms. Had a service call like this. turns out wire broke off in outlet that was feeding 3 rooms.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506

does your 240 stuff still work?

if not, you lost a "leg" comoing into the house, or a bus bar in the pannel.

if your 240 is still good, its probably just 1 circut that went out.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,192

If you still have fuses,call an Electrcian!
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #7

sorry about not putting enough information in here but yes this is an old house built around the 1900's and the 240 is still working but i do know it is on a different group of fuses like the water heater and the stove and there is still only 2 rooms in the house with power on the lower level of power they are at the very back of the house and there has not been anything new added lately to the house to suppect that
Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
I=E/R

How many different fuse panels do you have or are all the fuses in one panel?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #9

they are all in one box but there are 4 different sections to the box
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
I=E/R

You are going to have to do some logical troubleshooting. You will need a meter or at least a neon test light. Start at the panel and pull the main. Then check for any loose screws on the fuse block and neutral bus. Plug the main back in and check for voltage at each fuse connection to the neutral bus. If the voltage is good, then you will have to open up each outlet/switch box that is on the circuit and check from loose connections. If none found then you will have to use your tester to find out where the voltage got lost.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

Is it possible you are putting the wrong size fuses for the fustat adapter that is installed? Fustat adapters only allow a specific amperage fuse to be screwed into it based on the size of the wiring protected. If you try to put a bigger size fuse in it wont screw in all the way because the thread pattern is different and it won't make contact.

If the adapter is in good condition sometimes you can unscrew the fuse and simply read the amperage from the back of the adapter.

If it is not legible pull the main fuseholder and take the cover off. Then replace the main fuseholder and test the main lines coming into the panel, you should have 240-volts + or -. If you do then test from the screw at each fuse to the neutral bar and you should have 120 volt + or -. If you test one or more that have no power remove the fuse and and try a different probably smaller amperage fuse.

Also sometimes the threads inside the adapter crumble a little and stop the fuse from screwing in all the way. If it looks like there are pieces of broken porcelain inside pull the main fuseholder and blow out the debris.
Advertisement

Tags
fusebox , need new wiring , need new wiring\ , replacing fusebox , wiring