How To Wire Up This Motor? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 692

How to wire up this motor?

Attached is a wiring diagram, and the terminals for a motor I just picked up from craigslist (1/2 horse, 3450rpm). I want it wired up for the low-voltage usage, so obviously the left side of the diagram.

The trouble is, I can't tell what terminal is what? I don't want to just guess at this, that seems like a bad idea - so here I am to ask those who know.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
How to wire up this motor?-img_4856-large-.jpg   How to wire up this motor?-img_4852-large-.jpg  
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

Marathon Motors are notorious for having little tiny almost invisible numbers in their terminal boxes.

The motor is presently connected for high voltage, and standard rotation (CW when looking at the end without the shaft).

The terminal numbers are most likely #1 is top left, #2 is top right, #3 is bottom right, and #4 is bottom left. The one in the left-center isn't connected to anything. I know this seems sort of backward from the diagram, but I think it's correct.

Power goes to #1 and #4, the ones on the left that have the quick-connect terminals. Since this motor is thermally protected, connect the hot to #1 and the neutral to #4. That way, the thermal overload breaks the hot, not the neutral.

If you connect it according to the diagram, it'll turn CCW when looking at the end without the shaft. Swap the black with the red, and it'll turn the other way.

The green hex/slot screw at the top is for grounding.

Note; You can't wreck this motor by mis-connecting it and applying 120 volts. The worst is it won't run, or it'll trip the breaker. You can ruin it with 240, but it takes about 10 seconds or longer.

If it doesn't work, write back. There are a few simple tests using an ohm meter that can determine the terminal numbers.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 692

Thanks, your post was exactly what I was looking for. I started wiring it up to your specs, and once I got the old connections unattached, I could see the terminal numbers - which were as you stated.

I'll be mounting it up and giving it a go after work. Thanks again!
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement