How To Wire A 4-prong Dryer Plug - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes

Old 02-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,077

How to wire a 4-prong dryer plug

Hi,

This post is somewhat related to a post I have on the Appliance forum ("Miele dryer plug slightly mangled").

I have a high-end German dryer. The power cord plug is damaged. Its Neutral prong (L-shaped prong) got flattened during transportation so the plug cannot enter into my wall outlet. Damn!

Unluckily, my Miele dryer cannot use a Universal dryer cord because the wire connections the Universal cord uses (eyelet wire connectors) are different from what most dryers now use (eyelet wire connectors). My Miele dryer uses what look like spade connectors. In any case, to get a new cord and plug from Miele costs $174.97!

Luckily, some Good Samaritans have suggested that I simply get a cord cap/plug and wire the cord to it.

This is how my dryer's cord plug looks like:

And this is how the plug that I need looks like:

And this is how my wall electrical outlet looks like:

This is my question: Does anyone have instructions on how to wire the plug? Do you know of a link that has instructions? Also, after I've wired the plug is there anything I can put around the wires for safety purposes?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!
stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,108

Re: How to wire a 4-prong dryer plug

When you by the part, it will have an X and a W terminal. This is for the 2 hot wires.
It will have a N and a green screw for the ground.

Easy to wire up when you have the plug in hand.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

The alternative approach would be to look for the "Miele type" spade connectors. If found, replace the eyelet connectors on the universal cord.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

I have yet to see a dryer that would not accept a standard dryer cord. High-end German or otherwise. Meile, Fischer & Paykel, Bosch, etc.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

That's a NEMA 14-30 plug. it should be easy to find and most give directions on howto wire.

http://www.generatorsforhomeuse.us/w...nema14-30r.jpg
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedbass View Post
Hi,

This post is somewhat related to a post I have on the Appliance forum ("Miele dryer plug slightly mangled").

Luckily, some Good Samaritans have suggested that I simply get a cord cap/plug and wire the cord to it.

This is how my dryer's cord plug looks like:

And this is how the plug that I need looks like:

And this is how my wall electrical outlet looks like:

This is my question: Does anyone have instructions on how to wire the plug? Do you know of a link that has instructions? Also, after I've wired the plug is there anything I can put around the wires for safety purposes?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!
Going back to your post on the "Appliance" Site, I note that you wrote
"I'm going to try to straighten our the neutral prong with a pair of pliers. But if I do not succeed in getting the plug to fit into the outlet, can the plug itself be replaced onto the cord or do I have to call the manufacturer (Miele) and have a whole new plug and cord installed into the machine?"
(Perhaps, you meant "re-bend" instead of straighten?)

What your plug looks like did not appear above but the photo you posted elsewhere was

In that photo it looks like the Neutral pin has been (deliberately?) flattened, (perhaps to fit a NEMA 14-50 socket[?])

Have you tried to re-bend it to its "L" cross sectional shape using TWO pair of pliers?
While the metal may break, you have nothing to loose - unless the entire Neutral pin breaks off, in which case you could not use it (No 120 V), but you would not be any worse off than you are now.

(If the lower part of the "L" does break off, the plug would probably still [mis-]fit the NEMA 14-30 socket anyway, since the pin is "L" shaped mainly to prevent it fitting into a NEMA 14-50 [or 14-60 socket].)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
When you by the part, it will have an X and a W terminal. This is for the 2 hot wires.
It will have a N and a green screw for the ground.

Easy to wire up when you have the plug in hand.
jbfan,

Thanks for your feedback. When I bought the cord cap from Home Depot yesterday I noticed that the prongs were not yet connected to the plug. And I believe there are instructions.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
The alternative approach would be to look for the "Miele type" spade connectors. If found, replace the eyelet connectors on the universal cord.
Oso954,

The guy at my local Home Depot electrical department is actually an electrician. After showing him a photo of the Miele connectors he feels that they are what are called Stakon connectors (female) for number 10 wire. He said Home Depot doesn't have them but that I can find them at an electrical supply store.

I still think that replacing the cord cap will end being the least pain.

Thanks for trying to help.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I have yet to see a dryer that would not accept a standard dryer cord. High-end German or otherwise. Meile, Fischer & Paykel, Bosch, etc.
Speedy Petey,

I too didn't think till I opened the dryer.

Here's a photo of the Miele dryer plug connectors (see the black and white wires):

And here's another photo for the green and red wires:

Old 02-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
Going back to your post on the "Appliance" Site, I note that you wrote
"I'm going to try to straighten our the neutral prong with a pair of pliers. But if I do not succeed in getting the plug to fit into the outlet, can the plug itself be replaced onto the cord or do I have to call the manufacturer (Miele) and have a whole new plug and cord installed into the machine?"
(Perhaps, you meant "re-bend" instead of straighten?)

What your plug looks like did not appear above but the photo you posted elsewhere was

In that photo it looks like the Neutral pin has been (deliberately?) flattened, (perhaps to fit a NEMA 14-50 socket[?])

Have you tried to re-bend it to its "L" cross sectional shape using TWO pair of pliers?
While the metal may break, you have nothing to loose - unless the entire Neutral pin breaks off, in which case you could not use it (No 120 V), but you would not be any worse off than you are now.

(If the lower part of the "L" does break off, the plug would probably still [mis-]fit the NEMA 14-30 socket anyway, since the pin is "L" shaped mainly to prevent it fitting into a NEMA 14-50 [or 14-60 socket].)
FrodoOne,

At first I tried to flatten it (I don't know what I was thinking).

Then, after I realized the way it's supposed to look, I tried bending it but it has proven impossible. I think the prong got crushed during transportation. This is why it never fit into my outlet.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Speedy Petey,

I too didn't think till I opened the dryer.
Can't you just replace the terminals on a replacement dryer cord? They look like regular 1/4" spade terminals.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #12

Speedy Petey,

There are several concerns going on at the moment:

1) I'm trying to keep as much of the Miele stuff as possible. Some people have warned me that Miele products are very strange sometimes when it comes to substituting their parts with non-Miele ones. They warn that there could be something unique with their cord (I don't know). So just replacing the cord cap (plug) feels safer at this point.

2) I'm not 100% sure how the connectors inside the dryer look like when they're pulled out. I tried pulling one out and it felt very secure. I decided not to risk pulling it further and possibly breaking something.

3) If I have to replace the Miele cord with a Universal one, I'd feel better if a Miele approved technician in my area did the job. I called him and he said that his minimum would be $90.00 plus whatever extra time and material he spent. If I just replace the cord cap, I could probably do it myself. Or since I need my kitchen light fixture replaced, I could have the electrician who will replace the light fixture also do the cord cap.

But thanks for trying to help.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,602

Quote:

1) I'm trying to keep as much of the Miele stuff as possible. Some people have warned me that Miele products are very strange sometimes when it comes to substituting their parts with non-Miele ones. They warn that there could be something unique with their cord (I don't know). So just replacing the cord cap (plug) feels safer at this point.
In the photo of the Spade connections, you showed a Black and White wire terminating on a connecting block labeled BV 18.250/B48-A23 (I think), which also contains the designation 250 V(AC Symbol) 16 A.
(Note that there is no mention of 120 V)

Now, Miele devices are manufactured in/for Europe where 230 V is (now) the "norm".
While US manufactures may utilize 120 V for control equipment (which requires a Neutral), it would seem illogical for a European company to manufacture devices with 120 V control systems just for North America when the 230 V control systems used in Europe, and most of the rest of the world, will work quite adequately if used in a device to which it is necessary to supply 240 V AC.

While I would expect the use of the Black and Red wires to supply the 240 V, you indicated "there could be something unique with their cord ". (Perhaps, it is the way in which the colours in the cord are connected.)
The only photos I have seen showing the Red wire seem to show it in association with the Green wire.
(Obviously, any Green (or Green/Yellow) wire must terminate on the frame.)

I am suggesting that (perhaps) the Neutral is not actually used with this device and you should check if the Red wire is really connect to anything significant! (It may be that it is just terminated on an insulated terminal, so that it has somewhere to go!)

With the damaged cord now connected to the Dryer, I strongly recommend that, with the Ohms scale of a multi-meter, you check which pin on the plug goes to which wire terminal on the Dryer before you make any changes to the Plug/Wiring connections.

(If you could give us the "Model Number" of the Dryer, it may be possible to look for similar models of the same design intended for other markets.)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
In the photo of the Spade connections, you showed a Black and White wire terminating on a connecting block labeled BV 18.250/B48-A23 (I think), which also contains the designation 250 V(AC Symbol) 16 A.
(Note that there is no mention of 120 V)

Now, Miele devices are manufactured in/for Europe where 230 V is (now) the "norm".
While US manufactures may utilize 120 V for control equipment (which requires a Neutral), it would seem illogical for a European company to manufacture devices with 120 V control systems just for North America when the 230 V control systems used in Europe, and most of the rest of the world, will work quite adequately if used in a device to which it is necessary to supply 240 V AC.

While I would expect the use of the Black and Red wires to supply the 240 V, you indicated "there could be something unique with their cord ". (Perhaps, it is the way in which the colours in the cord are connected.)
The only photos I have seen showing the Red wire seem to show it in association with the Green wire.
(Obviously, any Green (or Green/Yellow) wire must terminate on the frame.)

I am suggesting that (perhaps) the Neutral is not actually used with this device and you should check if the Red wire is really connect to anything significant! (It may be that it is just terminated on an insulated terminal, so that it has somewhere to go!)

With the damaged cord now connected to the Dryer, I strongly recommend that, with the Ohms scale of a multi-meter, you check which pin on the plug goes to which wire terminal on the Dryer before you make any changes to the Plug/Wiring connections.

(If you could give us the "Model Number" of the Dryer, it may be possible to look for similar models of the same design intended for other markets.)
FrodoOne,

Thank you very much for your post.

My Miele dryer's model number is T 8003.

I tried asking your question to Miele's customer care desk. All they would say is that all the 4 cord wires are necessary. You have to keep in mind that their official policy is that their customers should not use non-Miele parts.

Anyway, one thing I've not mentioned is that Miele appliances have wiring diagrams tucked inside their machines. For example, there's a piece of paper in my dryer with wiring diagrams, see the photo below:

I'll be sending the link for my dryer manual (Miele is going to e-mail it to me). In the meantime, this is what the hardcopy version of the manual says about the cord and plug:
______

"The dryer comes with a 5 ft. long, 12/4 AWG cord and a NEMA 14-30 P plug.

"It should be connected to a 120/208-240 V, 30 A, 60 Hz AC power supply. A 3 pole-4 wire grounding power outlet (NEMA type 14-30 R) is necessary."
______

Last edited by stripedbass; 02-09-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

This is a link to my dryer manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...3-2753560.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement