How To Staple/secure Within Wall? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

How to staple/secure within wall?

I've recently run an #12 armored cable from my 200 amp panel to my kitchen for a garbage disposal (20 amp dedicated circuit / 20 amp GFCI receptacle / 20 amp switch / pigtail from GD to receptacle).

I've installed a metal box under the sink and ran the #12 AC to it, then ran a second piece to a switch at the sink. For the switch at the sink, I've used a plastic remodel box that has a plastic clamp that I had to force the armored cable through.

If I added a metal clamp to both wires on the metal box, do I need to secure the cables within 12" of the box?

For the plastic box, do I have to staple within 8" of the plastic box inside the stud? Or, does the plastic clampy thing count? If not, can anyone suggest a trick for stapling/securing within a wall that does not require opening the wall up?

Thanks.
Todd
toddmanqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wires fished behind an existing wall finish do not need to be stapled.

You should use a metal box in the wall since you are using the armored cable, and the receptacle below the sink does not need to be a GFCI (unless local codes require it).
Advertisement