How To Pick The Right Generator? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

How to pick the right generator?

so I asked a question in another thread about generators and one of the last comments was about how to make sure you don't overload a generator. So I've been looking and I think I want to get the honda EU3000is since it's supposed to be quiet and I don't want to be "that guy" with a really loud generator. Also, I'm a fan of all the reliability features (low oil protection etc.)

My main concern is overloading it, all I want to do is power my fridge mainly so food doesn't go bad and maybe run the heat if it's the winter/cook. my furnace is gas, so is my stove and range. Is it reasonable to expect the generator to be able to handle that kind of load plus maybe a few lights? (CFL's of course)

Also, I found one for ~$900 on craigslist, but I've heard that if the inverter is shot then it's useless and that you can't just tell by trying to turn it on once, so whats a good quick way to make sure I'm not buying a $900 paperweight?

thanks
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
And Still Learning

Rewards Points: 75

How many hours use on the eu3000? They are fine machines. Do you really need an inverter type generator to do those jobs? Nearly all generators have low oil shut down. A small generator will run at near max fuel comsumption, run hotter need refueling way more often and wear out faster.
I sometimes must work all night. During the summer days when I'm trying to sleep and the power fails I place an 8000 btu window AC in my bed room window and go right to sleep. Sure is nice to sleep for 6 hours and not have to mess with the gas.
How often and for how long is your power out. Quite is right. Buy one 40-50% larger than you plan on needing. A refrigerator does not use very much power.
With Huricane season over maybe a deal will fall into your hands.
The Honda 13 horse 7000 watt I bought at Sams club is no longer available. I just searched for it. All I see is China built units there.
Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 396

I probably don't need the inverter but it seems to be the only way to get a sub 60 decibel generator. Its also nice so I know I can run the tv or computer if need be ( to check in to work or something)

The ad says few hours on it and the spec sheet seems to say it'll run long enough. I don't plan to throw Ac onto it. Power has gone put twice in the last year long enough for food to spoil, so that and heating are my main concern, I can live without Ac for a week or so, food and heat are a different story.

Other concern is cost, I'm trying not to run the house because we don't live out far enough where we'd be on our own, we live right outside dc, just happens that trees come down a lot, so I just want something to tide me over with the essentials. My plan is to really only run it once every 3-6 hours to keep the fridge cool and cook when needed. Other then that the fridge should be insulated well enough to go a few hours in between without power, ad same for the heating in the winter.

So yea, my main concern is to buy what I need and not what would be nice to have (like a 10k watt generator) and I just want to make sure this can handle my needs while not running the generator at a 90% load, I'm hoping what I plan is only a 50% load or so.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

The price of a EU3000is could get you a very good high output portable generator. The EU3000is is an excellent unit, but you are going to pay dearly for the low noise level.

Further, I have found that for about $100 more you can buy 2 EU2000i's. You can link both units to give you a greater output than the EU3000is. The main advantage is that you have 2 units to use. No more worrying about if the generator is going to break down, you always have a backup Another nice benefit is that the EU2000's are only about 45lbs each, something your wife or kids could pick up and move around. The EU3000 is over 130lbs so it's a pain for even a strong man to get around.

However, I would still stick with a non-inverter based generator for your house, much more bang for your buck.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

A decent sized generator will genrally do the task pretty good but only thing you have to watch out is surge wattage rating that is kinda semi overlooked item due you need a bit of surge wattage due to get some of the electrique motor start up.

Most Electrique motor will typically take 3 to 5X of running amp to get it start up.

Oh yeah before I get done in here if you going to use with transfer switch make sure the transfer switch is legit set up this part is getting very strict and many POCO will not hook power back on if you don't have legit transfer switch there so they will ask you to shut off the generator when they do the hook up.

If you want to know more about transfer switch just search it { hit search funtion on top right on this screen } and it will list quite few fourms on this topic.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement