How Many Conductors In 3/4 LB? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Question

How many conductors in 3/4 LB?

I posted this on electrician talk and couldnt get any help. I really hope someone here is willing to help.

Ive had 2 electricians come and give me estimates. Both claim they were certified. The first said the conduit has to be EMT. The second said the conduit has to be PVC. After that i said let me read the code book and see what it says myself. And now here we are.

Im going to do the PLUMBING only. Im running a dedicated SPA line. line will be 6-6-6-6 as dictated by manufacturer for SPA. I see on 314.16 Volume requirements for 6AWG minimum volume in a square box is 21 inch cubed. I was thinking i could use an LB for a few of the 90 degree turns as there are 9 of them in this 125foot run. 3/4 LB has a volume of 7.5 inch cubed. According to table that is not enough to pass 4 conductors through. Am i missing something? Just want to make sure everything is to code. Thanks for the help. I am not running the cable or wiring the spa. Im only doing the plumbing. Thanks for any help you can provide.
chefboyarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Disrespectful to dirt

Rewards Points: 2,106

Re: How many conductors in 3/4 LB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboyarbee View Post
The first said the conduit has to be EMT. The second said the conduit has to be PVC. After that i said let me read the code book and see what it says myself.
Which exact version of the NEC is your area using? This will make a difference on what is allowed or required. Also check for any local amendments regarding spas and hot tubs in single family homes. There are often relaxed requirements in such locations and occasionally some which are more stringent.

Quote:
I was thinking i could use an LB for a few of the 90 degree turns as there are 9 of them in this 125foot run.
You're there and I am not, but find another way to route this. The electrician is going to dislike you for using so many bends. But he will want to cause you physical harm if you use LBs unnecessarily. A 90 degree bend in conduit can simply be pulled through. With an LB, not so much. Use them to break up runs to reset the 360 limit or where sharp turns are needed and nothing more.

Quote:
3/4 LB has a volume of 7.5 inch cubed. According to table that is not enough to pass 4 conductors through. Am i missing something?
The volume requirement for conduit bodies only applies when conductors are spliced or tapped within them. When conductors only pass through, a different size requirement is used and a 3/4" LB is fine. Look at 314.16(C) instead of (B).
Fishbulb28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 58

First and foremost 3/4" is too small for 4 - #6. Just because the code says yes does not mean it is practical. Your electrician will yell! 1" or 1 1/4" just for ease of pulling. I assume above ground outside? PVC will sag badly esp. when the sun hits it. Some inspectors would require schedule 80 PVC above ground.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 636

chefboyarbee: Do yourself a huge favor before you do any part of this job yourself including just running the "plumbing".

You need to find an electrician that is willing to allow you to do any part of the project yourself before you start running anything. Even though this is just running conduit you need to be darn sure an electrician will be willing to take over where you left off. Concern is their liability insurance. It could end up costing you more in the end instead of saving money doing some of the labor yourself.
afjes2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboyarbee View Post
Im running a dedicated SPA line...
line will be 6-6-6-6 ... in this 125foot run.3/4 LB...
3/4" is the MINIMUM allowable for 4#6 wires.
On a completely straight run you might get an adequate end result.

Whoever is doing the wiring... have them do the conduit as well.
The incremental up-charge to use 1" material... is smart money paid.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement