How To Flush-Mount An Outdoor Load Center - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jbfan
  • 1 Post By Speedy Petey

Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 113

How to Flush-Mount an Outdoor Load Center

I'm installing a new outdoor load center to expand the capacity of my home's electrical system. I'm looking to flush-mount the load center - like the other panels on my home.

I'm seeing a challenge with mounting it flush - I posted this issue on the Home Depot web site, but haven't seen any responses, so I'll repeat it here:

Quote:
The hinges on the left side require the panel to be mounted about 1.5" proud of the wall surface. This would be acceptable but also causes another issue - the large 'hub' hole at the top of the panel will also be exposed beyond the wall surface. This will require the plastic hub plate and gasket to be installed on top- and this will require a notch to be cut out in the wall to fit the hub plate and wouldn't make for a very clean looking install. There are no directions included in the package for flush mounting of an outdoor panel
I'm wondering if it might be OK to remove the hinges completely - this would make it easier to mount flush to the wall where the top hub holes would be behind the wall surface.

Here's the load center:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Murray-12...rd=LW1224L1125

Here are some photos of the load center and the other panels on my home.
http://s119.photobucket.com/user/poo.../slideshow/DIY

Thanks for the help!
-Fritz
fritzycat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 554

Re: How to Flush-Mount an Outdoor Load Center

Being how an outdoor panel is not made to be flush mounted for the reasons you see, why not surface mount it?

I never saw your second set of pictures.
Speedy Petey likes this.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,370

I am assuming you are installing the panel as a sub panel to the existing.
While it will give you more breaker positions, it will not increase the actual capacity of the supply.

How many amps is your main panel ?
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Oso954!

That is correct - it is a sub panel to the existing breaker. I'm adding capacity for more breakers - and a whole house surge protector.

The main panel is 125 Amps.

I have an electrician coming to do the actual work, I'm just looking to do as much of the prep as possible.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Being how an outdoor panel is not made to be flush mounted for the reasons you see, why not surface mount it?

I never saw your second set of pictures.
Thanks jbfan - I'd like to flush mount it because I would like to maintain the consistency of having flush-mounted panels if possible.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

There are plenty of flush mount outdoor panels available. Just maybe not at a home center. In your area from what I know most panels are flush mounted outside.

Personally I'd just let the electrician handle it. Tell him what you want and let him do it.
Jim Port likes this.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,370

Quote:
In your area from what I know most panels are flush mounted outside.
That definately used to be true. In the past 30 years or so, exterior surface mount has gained ground, both in new construction and in upgrades. In some areas out here, I would say the exterior surface mounts are now the majority installation.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Stevies3 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #8

Thanks again for the additional input. I know I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be (I seem do do that all the time!). My electrician also suggested a surface mount panel, and he had no suggestions for a flush-mount panel since he always installs surface mount. I was hoping for a cleaner look - and I've got the time to do the extra work involved, so if it is possible, I'd like to do it myself to keep costs down.

I've been unable to find another panel that is both outdoor and easily flush mounted. I was hoping to keep it in the Murray / Siemens family since the main breaker is a Murray, but if there are other panels you might recommend, I'd be interested in checking them out.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

ok, just one more question on this and if isn't a viable solution, I'll concede defeat and install an big old ugly surface mount panel..

Would it be possible to install a Wire Guard WUX1624 Nema 3R 'Shanty' on the exterior (see photos), and then install an indoor panel between the studs behind it? Since the shanty provides the Nema 3R protection, do you see any code issues with that?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Disrespectful to dirt

Rewards Points: 1,942

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzycat1 View Post
Would it be possible to install a Wire Guard WUX1624 Nema 3R 'Shanty' on the exterior (see photos), and then install an indoor panel between the studs behind it?
No. It would still be using a NEMA 1 enclosure outdoors. NEMA 3R is only raintight, not waterproof. It won't protect the indoor panel sufficiently.

You will not find a NEMA 3R panel that is flush mount. This is due to the NEMA 3R requirement that water not be allowed to accumulate within the enclosure. Either the bottom is made not be water tight or a drain or weep hole is required. If you install the panel within a wall, the inevitable accumulated water has no place to drain except into that wall.
Fishbulb28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

Thanks Fishbulb28. When you put it that way it seems to make sense. Looks like it's gonna be surface mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement