How To Explain Electrical Circuits To Someone - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By dmxtothemax
  • 3 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 2 Post By curiousB
  • 1 Post By DanS26

Old 02-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Talking

how to explain electrical circuits to someone

Hi
I have a landlady who doesn't understand how circuits work. She thinks my freezer has somehow caused the exterior outdoor receptacle to stop working. The outdoor receptacles are on their own circuits and the freezer is on another separate circuit that has the living rooms and a wall that shares two of the kitchen and two living room receptacles on it (and to clarify kitchen appliance receptacles (2) are at the cupboard counter and on their own circuit, and oven on it's own circuit)
I have tried to tell her this but she thinks something is drawing power to make this outdoor receptacle to stop working. I've spoken to two electricians and they confirm what I am trying to tell her.
Is there anywhere I can locate information on the internet where I can print it out and give it to her?

She also thinks an extension cord not plugged into anything that uses power draws power just plugged in to the receptacle (if that makes sense how I've written this). The extension cord in plugged in to the receptacle but nothing is plugged into the extension cord - it's just laying there doing nothing and she thinks it draws power so we can use the same receptacle to plug our vehicles in.
I think this place is old and the outdoor receptacle needs replacing but she seems to think that the electrician who came to fix the air conditioning installation issues should have fixed (all) the electrical issues (not if he is was just asked to deal with the air conditioning issue, she has told me other falsehoods so I don't believe what she says).

To me it's all an excuse not to actually deal with the issue, doesn't want to pay anyone to come out and fix it. How I'm coming to this conclusion is because she doesn't get the people she has hired to come back to fix something that needs done - such as a living room window that is missing something that subsequently lets water in if rain hits it at the right angle. Leaving me responsible to make sure it doesn't run down the inside wall when it comes in.

So in summary, does anyone know where there is an easy explanation how circuits don't draw power from each other (that a freezer on one circuit won't affect the circuit with the outdoor receptacle on it)?

And where there is an article about how extension cords don't draw power when not in use?
Thank you

Also my suite and hers have separate breaker boxes
TTT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 994

Re: how to explain electrical circuits to someone

You might try explaining things in terms of something that is more familiar to her, like plumbing. When you connect a hose (which you can say is equivalent to an extension cord) to an outdoor faucet, it doesn't use any water just by being connected. But when you hook the end of the hose to a sprinkler, and turn on the faucet, only THEN is water used. Sort of like plugging a light into the extension cord and turning it on.

Similarly, if you have two faucets (i.e. two circuits), one in front of the house and one in back, when you use the front faucet to water the lawn (i.e to power your refrigerator), it doesn't cause the faucet in the back to stop working.

Electricity is about the flow of electrons through wires. In many ways it is similar to the flow of water through pipes.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,320

Once they are that set in their ways ?
You are wasting your time
She doesn't want to know
save your breath
Cause nothing will convince her !

J. V. and Bud9051 like this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,316

There are people that will argue all day long that black is white and they are too smart to deal with facts or explanation.
The water hose is a good example but I would turn that a bit. I would just say things like her unused hose is running up her water bill and let her argue with that.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,010

I think it would be a lot less work finding a new place to live.
J. V., Nealtw and w0j0 like this.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 821

If you need the outlet, just replace it. Cost $2 and 15 minutes of your time. Just don't say anything about it cause she might freak out.
My experience with rentals is that unless it is a legally defined liveability issue like no heat or no hot water, even the most considerate landlord will be in no hurry to fix it. As long as you are paying rent, you are essentially stating that you are "ok" with the way things are.

Last edited by chiraldude; 02-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.
chiraldude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
There are people that will argue all day long that black is white and they are too smart to deal with facts or explanation.
Me thinks Neal just defined, ironically, internet forums.

Add emphasis that these little problems are catastrophic to her wallet. The window leak is occurring inside the wall too, so it's rotting the wall below and the house will fall down. The dead outlet is a fire hazard, and the F.D. comes during the night and tests these, if they're not working the landlord gets a $100 fine.
Nealtw likes this.
3onthetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT17 View Post
Hi
I have a landlady who doesn't understand how circuits work. She thinks my freezer has somehow caused the exterior outdoor receptacle to stop working.

The extension cord in plugged in to the receptacle but nothing is plugged into the extension cord - it's just laying there doing nothing and she thinks it draws power so we can use the same receptacle to plug our vehicles in.

Also my suite and hers have separate breaker boxes

You have separate breaker boxes, separate meters as well?
Why are you plugging your vehicles in, block heaters, or electric cars?

Is it "your" outdoor receptacle or "her" outdoor receptacle?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,234

how to explain electrical circuits to someone

Itís magic....

But seriously communications only works when there is a transmitter and receiver. Your situation sounds like a broken receiver. No transmitter will overcome that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nik333 and 3onthetree like this.

Last edited by curiousB; 02-06-2019 at 02:01 PM.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Once they are that set in their ways ?
You are wasting your time
She doesn't want to know
save your breath
Cause nothing will convince her !

I totally agree with dmxtothemax!
You/No-one can't help those type of people. I am withholding using the term stupid.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 849

Ignorance can be fixed with facts, logic and reason......but stupidity is not fixable and limitless.......don't even try.
Nealtw likes this.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement