How To Add A Remote Dpdt Switch To My Winch. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

How to add a remote dpdt switch to my winch.

I need help wiring a 7 pin dpdt momentary switch to my anchor winch on my boat. It currently has a 6 pin momentary switch built in. I want to add the remote switch so I can operate the winch from my dashboard. I can't figure out the proper way to wire it so that both switches work independently of each other. Please help! Thanks in advance.
Heyitseric2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,058

Re: How to add a remote dpdt switch to my winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitseric2000 View Post
I need help wiring a 7 pin dpdt momentary switch to my anchor winch on my boat. It currently has a 6 pin momentary switch built in. I want to add the remote switch so I can operate the winch from my dashboard. I can't figure out the proper way to wire it so that both switches work independently of each other. Please help! Thanks in advance.
A 7 pin DPST switch would seem to be impossible (since "double pole" implies an even number of contacts/connections - and nobody else has as yet commented.
(You might be well advised to explain your question in more detail.)

While I can visualise a possibility of your existing situation, it would be most helpful if you could supply a diagram of the existing set-up and/or photographs of the same.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
A 7 pin DPST switch would seem to be impossible (since "double pole" implies an even number of contacts/connections - and nobody else has as yet commented.
(You might be well advised to explain your question in more detail.)

While I can visualise a possibility of your existing situation, it would be most helpful if you could supply a diagram of the existing set-up and/or photographs of the same.

I suspect he is talking about a switch like this one, which uses the 7th pin for LED indicators.

RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 746

Wouldn't you need an interlock or reversing relays to make sure the winch is not turning in both directions at the same time? What if one switch was energized to turn clockwise while the other was counterclockwise?
Let it Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let it Snow View Post
Wouldn't you need an interlock or reversing relays to make sure the winch is not turning in both directions at the same time? What if one switch was energized to turn clockwise while the other was counterclockwise?
Think "center-off" toggle switch. I'd guess one pole to power the motor and the other to disengage the winch brake.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
Think "center-off" toggle switch. I'd guess one pole to power the motor and the other to disengage the winch brake.
I thought the OP wanted two DPDT in parallel.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let it Snow View Post
I thought the OP wanted two DPDT in parallel.
That's the way I understand it. Assuming the winch is DC and powered directly from the switch, running wire the length of the car (and back), is going to introduce a pretty good voltage drop. Depending on how many amps the winch draws, some pretty hefty wire would be needed and the current draw is going to determine the rating of the switch.

Probably be better to have control relays at the winch, but then you have to make them water-tight, but that's easier said than done.

Of course, if the winch is already powered through relays, there's no problem.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #8

HERE is a 12 volt DC, 20 amp DPDT, momentary contact, marine rated switch.
You can simply run a six wire, marine rated cable from the existing switch to the new one. Match the colors and wiring configuration of the existing switch to the new one.
The problem arises with the possibility that at the same time, one switch is used to pull the anchor up and the second switch is used to drop the anchor. If that occurs, there will be a dead short which could burn the wires and/or motor and catch the boat on fire.
To solve that, reversing relays can be used. Reversing relays interlock and eliminate the possibility of the motor being driven in both directions at the same time.
Using regular relays does not solve the problem, they would have to be reversing relays.

Last edited by Let it Snow; 08-23-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

Attachment 568577 the 7 pin switch pictured is the one I am trying to add in parallel to the onboard 6 pin switch also pictured. They are both momentary so I shouldn't need to worry about a reversing relay unless two people were physically at each switch operating them backward of each other at the same time. I just dont see that happening. Plus I have the power circuit on an auto resetting 20 amp breaker.How to add a remote dpdt switch to my winch.-20190823_194625_1566925390160.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
How to add a remote dpdt switch to my winch.-screenshot_20190827-125129_amazon-shopping_1566925305331.jpg  
Heyitseric2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dpdt , electrical , wiring