How To Add New Circuits To Outdoor Main Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 89

How to add new circuits to outdoor Main Panel

My main meter panel is installed outside on the back of my house. The house is old and the meter has been previously updated to a 100 amp murray panel. I want to add more circuits for some ceiling fans and closet lights in the attic. I also want to run a 220V circuit throught the crawlspace to a new AC condenser. The original branch circuits run through the wall and come into the back of the box. This is not possible as I have no way to access the inside of this wall. I would like to run rigid conduit or what ever is allowed from the meter to the attic and the crawlspace, penetratate the stucco and install a junction box in both the attic and crawlspace. I would use THNN wire for this correct? I can't simply use romex in conduit and continue on without the need for the extra junction can I? What is the best way to wire this without opening up the wall?

Thanks

Last edited by hartkem; 08-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

You may be able to snake the wires from the panel to the attic and to the crawlspace. This is usually what I attempt to do first before running pipe. If you take pictures of the panel, the attic space above the panel, and the crawlspace below the panel it might help.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 89

Here is a picture of the panel. You can see someone ran some external romex circuits in conduit off of it going into the attic and the crawlspace. I would like to consolidate these into larger rigid conduit. I think I need to use individual wires into a junction. I dont think romex inside rigid conduit is legal. There is no way to snake wires through the wall from the attic. Not enough room to get within an arms reach due to clearance from the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
How to add new circuits to outdoor Main Panel-img_2327.jpg   How to add new circuits to outdoor Main Panel-img_2330.jpg   How to add new circuits to outdoor Main Panel-img_2328.jpg  
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement