House Not Getting Enough Power. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eric626
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By DanS26

Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

First it was just the 220 appliances. The dryer wouldn't come on and the heating elements in the stove wouldn't come on but the clock on it would. Then it moved to the refrigerator, the light will come on in it but the compressor won't. The last time it did it the dryer, stove, fridge and well water pump wouldn't work yet the washing machine tried to burn up it smelled like burnt wires and burnt plastic so we unplugged it then one of the breakers for the lights and plugins in our office quit working all together it's not tripped it's still not working. We turned on the heat and everything but the office breaker started working again. This time, the stove and dryer quit working, the office still isn't working, another breaker that ceiling fans in the upstairs are on won't work at all, washing machine won't work, the lights on the thermostat for central unit won't even come on this time even though they have every other time even if the unit won't come on and the house doesn't even have enough power to turn on a carpet cleaning machine. All of this wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't going to be 24 degrees tomorrow night. I don't have any heat now. There's a breaker box at the meter poll that controls the whole property. It consists of the main breaker that shuts off power to the entire property, a breaker that goes to the well water pump, a breaker that goes to another small shed, and a breaker that I'm assuming goes to the house. Then there's two breaker boxes in the house, one that controls the original parts of the house including the 220 appliances and AC/ Heat pump unit and heat strips to it the other breaker box goes to the new additions of the house. The 220 breaker inside the breaker box in the house runs both the dryer and the stove, it's spliced together between the dryer and the stove past the dryer so I'm guessing if it had anything to do with that only the stove would be messing up. There's a spot between the main breaker box outside and the breaker box inside that was hit by a lawn mower and the covering on the white line was nicked off and the bare and white were touching so I dried them off and wrapped the white one with electrical tape, I know it's messed up after it's rained the past two times but I can't remember the other times. I read that it could be a loose neutral on the power companies end that needs to be retorched but if my power company comes out and it's not on their end they charge 100-200 dollars. I didn't want the central unit to burn up so I turned off the breaker for it and the strips and I turned off the 220 breaker.What could it be? I have pictures. In the one of the main breaker box the breaker on the left goes to the well water pump the one on the top right goes to the shed. P.S. if you're just going to tell me to call an electrician I don't have money for one so either it won't get fixed or I'll have to figure out how to fix it myself. I don't like it, but I don't have a choice. And I know that it's supposed to be called 240 and 120 but most people call it 220 and 110.
Attached Thumbnails
House not getting enough power.-20170313_113720_1489433220771.jpg   House not getting enough power.-20170313_113741_1489433250973.jpg   House not getting enough power.-20170313_113805_1489433287281.jpg   House not getting enough power.-20170313_113814_1489433320459.jpg   House not getting enough power.-20170313_113915_1489433478035.jpg  

House not getting enough power.-20170313_114646_1489433552910.jpg  

Last edited by ScarlettInk48; 03-13-2017 at 02:39 PM.
ScarlettInk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,672

Re: House not getting enough power.

Too long and unreadable. pictures are sideways.

It sounds like a loose connection. None of the POCOs I have heard of charge for service calls if it is not their fault but yours could be different. You need to either call the POCO or an electrician.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,794

Completely agree. It sounds like a failed/failing hot conductor or connection. If the pump and shed still work ok it might narrow down to the feed to the house. If the photo of the conductor lying on the ground is the main feed to the house you've got bigger problems. The hot conductor might be leaking to ground. Money aside, this is potentially a very dangerous situation.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

the past few times the water pressure gets really weak but we have five people in the house using water so I can't tell if there's not enough power or if the tanks just draining. Any ideas how to fix the nicked line on the ground besides electrical tape? And would it getting wet from rain have anything to do with it?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #5

This is not a DIY problem. You should shut off your main breaker and call an electrician. Ever since square reader came around more and more electricians are accepting credit card payments.

You also might want to try politely explaining to the power company that you pay them every month. They should come inspect their connections at no extra cost.
J. V. likes this.
eric626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,290

Turn off all of the 240 volt breakers (double handle breakers).

Turn on most of the 120 volt circuits' breakers (single breakers). (Leave off the breakers that feed circuits where you had equipment or appliances that were smoking.)

Plug in some incandescent lights in various room receptacles that are still alive.

Measure voltage down in the panel at various breakers that are still flipped on. Measure from a breaker screw to neutral (neutral bus bar) and from a breaker screw to another breaker screw. Do several measurements. Are you get voltages other than approx. 120 and approx. 240? Are there breakers that are flipped on but from the screw to neutral measures zero?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,794

Actually, on second look, I have a hard time believing that the nicked line lying on the ground is the main feed to the house. The conductor size looks no larger than a single 15a circuit and certainly not sufficient for something with a 220v feed.
Msradell likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 993

Cletis.....you're not fooling anybody. hahahahaha
jbfan likes this.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,824

You clearly have dirty/loose/failing connections somewhere !
But without reliable voltage readings it's hard to say where.
Turn off your main breaker/switch,
check with a tester to see if it's really dead
then check all joins and connections
are they clean and shiney
are they tight in there connections
is there any clear signs of heat damage
are they rusty or corrodded ?
Take voltage readings in fault state

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,600

On the exterior panel i would clean the big wires connections at the bottom they seem all oxidized and makes poor contact. if you have a voltmeter it can tell us where is the problem.
carmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #11

I was kinda thinking the same thing, there's two small lines like it and one larger line going under the house. But every time I dry the small line off and rewrap it things seem to start working again. I talked with an older man who said he was an electrician and claimed that the line could be getting feedback but I don't know if he was quite... Sound. Could it be getting feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement