DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (https://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Hooking up a welder (https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/hooking-up-welder-55341/)

dc4nomore 10-16-2009 10:59 PM

Hooking up a welder
 
I bought a cheap-o welder from Harbor freight and am looking to get it hooked up. I am planning on running a new, dedicated circuit for this in my garage, about 5 feet from the main panel.

The welder says the input is 230 V and 21 amps. The welder did not come with a plug on the end of the power cord so I have to add one. The strange thing to me is that the supplied power cord is 14-3. I would think it would need to be 10 or 12 gauge? Also, it has a black, white, and (insulated) green wire. Shouldn't it have a black, red, and green wire instead??

Anyways, should I use a 20A, 250V or a 30A, 250V plug for the end of the power cord? Do I need to go with the twist lock type or will the standard work?

As far as wiring the circuit, should I use 12-2 w/ground or 10-2 w/ground? And what size double pole breaker should I use...20A or 30A?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave

frenchelectrican 10-16-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc4nomore (Post 341781)
I bought a cheap-o welder from Harbor freight and am looking to get it hooked up. I am planning on running a new, dedicated circuit for this in my garage, about 5 feet from the main panel.

The welder says the input is 230 V and 21 amps. The welder did not come with a plug on the end of the power cord so I have to add one. The strange thing to me is that the supplied power cord is 14-3. I would think it would need to be 10 or 12 gauge? Also, it has a black, white, and (insulated) green wire. Shouldn't it have a black, red, and green wire instead??

Anyways, should I use a 20A, 250V or a 30A, 250V plug for the end of the power cord? Do I need to go with the twist lock type or will the standard work?

As far as wiring the circuit, should I use 12-2 w/ground or 10-2 w/ground? And what size double pole breaker should I use...20A or 30A?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave

By reading your nameplate info you will need 30 amp circuit and you will need 30 amp plug and receptale.

You will need 30 amp double pole breaker { pay attetion to GE panels if that the case you have to becarefull where you land it espcally with one inch double poles }

The twistlock is more expensive than standard 30 amp receptle { useally most case but once a while it will be reversed }

Run the cable from the breaker box to receptale box with 10-2 NM { if run outside or in conduit it must be in THHN/THWN conductors }

With the 240 volts units you can remarked the white to bleu or red with marker or tape.

Ditto with 10-2NM cables remark the white so you know it is a 240 volt load.

For cord colurs the manufacter keep that way to keep the cost down by using the common colours.

Merci,Marc

dc4nomore 10-17-2009 12:46 AM

I do have a GE panel so thanks for the tip on the breaker.

Yes the twistlock is much more expensive! I will use the standard then.

The wire will be exposed so I do want to place it in conduit...I can't place the 10-2 NM directly in the conduit? It must be THHN/THWN? Can I instead remove the sheathing from some 10-2 NM and use the individual wires inside? That way, I won't have to buy separate wire...

Thanks again!
Dave

Thurman 10-17-2009 01:47 AM

May I recommend this: Decide whether or not you may even let someone borrow your welder. IF you even think you know anyone who would ask to borrow it, and you don't intend to loan it out, this is what I did and it has worked--On my MIG welder (not a cheapy, and my Plasma torch (not cheapy here either) I used 220v, 50 amp receptacles and male plugs. I got them at the local electrical supply house. Whenever anyone asks, and they have, I just tell them "sure, do you have a place to plug this in"? It never fails. Thanks, David

dc4nomore 10-17-2009 11:39 AM

Haha clever idea about using the 50 A plug!

Can anyone else comment on the conduit issue? Do I absolutely have to use THHN/THWN instead of 10-2 NM? Can I remove the sheathing from the 10-2 and will that be good enough?

Thanks!

Plumbvoltage 10-17-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc4nomore (Post 341904)
Do I absolutely have to use THHN/THWN instead of 10-2 NM? Can I remove the sheathing from the 10-2 and will that be good enough?
Thanks!

:no: No you can't remove the sheathing from nm cable and use the wires in conduit. You must use wire that is stamped thhn/thwn in conduit.

Scuba_Dave 10-17-2009 04:13 PM

No, you can't remove the sheathing from the #10 wire & use it in conduit
Yes, you CAN put the NM wire in conduit as long as the conduit is big enough
.1917 cross section for conduit fill you need 1/2" conduit, I'd use 3/4" instead




dc4nomore 10-17-2009 06:21 PM

I was at Home Depot today and I noticed that they sell stranded #10 wire for 38 cents a foot...I only need 10 feet max of each color so I think I'll just buy it that way. 3/4" conduit will work for that? Ok...the wife is yelling so i've gotta go! thanks guys!

kbsparky 10-17-2009 06:24 PM

" conduit will work with (3)-#10 type THHN conductors. OR 3/4" ... your choice :yes:

dc4nomore 10-17-2009 11:54 PM

Ok I will probably use 3/4" conduit just because I think I have some of that sitting around in the basement.

I just thought of something though...this is NOT a 125V/250V item, like a dryer, correct? It is strictly 250V, right?

dc4nomore 10-18-2009 12:26 AM

Also can anyone please explain why the attached power cord on this welder is only 14 AWG? I am trying to hook up this 30A plug to this 14 AWG wire and the wire just seems way too small...it doesn't even seem like it would work with that plug.

I thought #14 wire is only good for up to 15 amps...then why in the world would it be on this welder, which supposedly draws 21 amps???

:confused1:

frenchelectrican 10-18-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc4nomore (Post 342156)
Ok I will probably use 3/4" conduit just because I think I have some of that sitting around in the basement.

I just thought of something though...this is NOT a 125V/250V item, like a dryer, correct? It is strictly 250V, right?

The welder is strictly 240 volt unit and there is no netural in there at all and you have to becarfull if you get 240 volt rectpecale I know the 30 amp verison do come in couple formats the 30 amp straight 240 volt will have large horzontal blade formats about 2 1/2 inches wide.

http://westsidedelivers.com/IMAGES/P...EY/3801_LL.JPG

this what it look like.

Merci.

Marc

frenchelectrican 10-18-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc4nomore (Post 342161)
Also can anyone please explain why the attached power cord on this welder is only 14 AWG? I am trying to hook up this 30A plug to this 14 AWG wire and the wire just seems way too small...it doesn't even seem like it would work with that plug.

I thought #14 wire is only good for up to 15 amps...then why in the world would it be on this welder, which supposedly draws 21 amps???

:confused1:


The welder cord have diffrent tempture and materals rating compared to standard building wires they have diffrent set of rules to follow.

I know they have higher tempture rating on it IIRC 105C but not sure excat if that is correct.

Merci.
Marc

dc4nomore 10-18-2009 12:29 AM

^ This is the receptacle I got, along with the matching plug...thanks for the clarification. :)

Can you answer my above question about the 14 AWG power cord?

Thanks!


**Edit** just saw that you responded to the cord question....hmm so then is the #14 cord correct? It just doesn't seem like it is large enough to fit on the 30A plug...?

frenchelectrican 10-18-2009 12:40 AM

It will fit the 30 amp plug without any issue but just watch the cord clamp to make sure it will hold otherwise you may need to use the spacer I know some case they will include the spacer to keep the cord hold in firm.

As far for conductor screws on the cord blade it is not a issue it will be screwed down good.

Let me give you a head up with the recpetale screws colours on straght 240 volt units you should see brass colours in there { two wide flat blades are for power so both red et black or white {remarked} et black will go on that screws and green or bare to green screw. and you are good to go.

Merci.
Marc


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.